IPAD Shortage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
A friend of mine who is in marketing told me that the main reason why the IPAD not only out sold the Iphone on first release, and is always sold out everywhere is becuase people buy them by the dozen then ship them out to South America and a few other countries... this is probably old news but makes sense

Reaction score
It actually doesn't make much sense.
Apple has gone to great lengths to ensure such things will not be possible.
Only two items could be sold to the same customer and stores would not accept cash when selling iPads(since the same customer could use cash to buy from five stores but with a CC his info will be in the database already).

Of course there will always be ways to go around this and cases of iPads being shipped overseas(****, I know I guy who just recently got two sent to him here in Ukraine) but it wouldn't be by the dozens per person and it definetely would not be the main reason why Apple ran out of stock. The sheer fact that the product was highly anticipated and sought for by many made that happen.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
It actually doesn't make much sense.
Apple has gone to great lengths to ensure such things will not be possible.
Only two items could be sold to the same customer and stores would not accept cash when selling iPads(since the same customer could use cash to buy from five stores but with a CC his info will be in the database already).

Of course there will always be ways to go around this and cases of iPads being shipped overseas(****, I know I guy who just recently got two sent to him here in Ukraine) but it wouldn't be by the dozens per person and it definetely would not be the main reason why Apple ran out of stock. The sheer fact that the product was highly anticipated and sought for by many made that happen.

They go all over US in teams buying bestbuys and apple stores out it is very possible, I was at best buy recently guy purchased 5 all for overseas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Right. That's the reason. It has nothing to do with the fact that the device is very popular right now and Appoe is having a hard time keeping them in stock.

Or is it?!? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Of course there being shipped all over the world. Didn't anyone read about the Chinese man who bought over 200 of them in California packed them into two giant suit cases, hopped on a airplane,flew to China and sold them for double the money, It was on CNN,Foxnews ...etc

I have a brand new one listed right now locally on Craigslist, Almost every call I have gotten for it has been from someone looking to buy it locally and send it to a relative in another country particularly Asian countries.

I don't fault anyone for trying to make a buck off an iPad or get one early more power to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't fault anyone for trying to make a buck off an iPad or get one early more power to them.

This is an issue that devides these forums I think. And its best to say agree to disagree on this issue. Cause persinally I am on the side of that is very immoral. But there is a lot of people for one side and a lot for the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
This is an issue that devides these forums I think. And its best to say agree to disagree on this issue. Cause persinally I am on the side of that is very immoral. But there is a lot of people for one side and a lot for the other.

I think can agree to disagree on this or this thread is going to ****. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Capitalism is immoral? Last I checked, economic theories didn't lean one way or the other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.