New User - Software Equivalents

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m new to the forums and new to the world of Mac. Have just purchased a MacBook Pro. Love it but having used Windows for 15 years or so there are certain pieces of software that I need to find the equivalent of.

Have considered using Bootcamp/Parallels but have decided I just want to use the Mac OS and everything that goes with it.

So if anyone could tell which programmes will do the following it would be a massive help.

I currently use WS-FTP for ftp upload and transfer. I’m not sure if there’s a Mac version. I can’t seem to find it. Are there any FTP clients that people would recommend?

On Windows I use PowerDVD to capture still images from DVDs. I know they don’t make a Mac version – which other programme will allow me to do this. iMovie?

I also use TMPGENC to rip segments from DVDs, just short clips – not the whole movie. Which programme would allow me to do this? I don’t think I can rip from DVD in iMovie right?

Any help will be appreciated and any cheap or free options would be better given that I’m tight for money after just buying the Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
welcome..

i use CyberDuck (free) for ftp... works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
FTP Clients
Fugu
Research Systems Unix Group: Fugu
Flow - I got it with one of the software bundles -it works well
Flow - Mac OS X FTP and SFTP Client
And as suggested cyberduck
Cyberduck | FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac OS X | About

VLC is a great media player and can capture images
There is this guide too
How to Take Fullscreen DVD Screen Captures in Mac OS X Using FreeSnap - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

For partial movie - what about handbrake - encode it then edit it?
HandBrake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You can't just take a screen shot? Command + **** + 3

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have downloaded a few of the programmes suggested and am working with the at the moment. thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
You can't just take a screen shot? Command + **** + 3
For the OP’s info, the stars was a typo, it was meant to say shift, but I think he left out the f.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.