Street Find..Slot Load Imac

Reaction score
Ok..its just an old Mac,already have 3 of them. It was just sitting there on the curb...I stopped and tossed it in the truck. Its Blue 350mhz..OS9...already fixed it. Someone put all the system folders in the trash...One more for the collection;D

Reaction score
Ok..its just an old Mac,already have 3 of them. It was just sitting there on the curb...I stopped and tossed it in the truck. Its Blue 350mhz..OS9...already fixed it. Someone put all the system folders in the trash...One more for the collection;D

That's great!

Remember to post in the appropriate thread though. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is maddening this throw away society of ours!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does your Blue Slot Load have the Firewire ports? I ran into one where Apple lowered the price and left out the firewire ports. Blue 350 Mhz Slot Load.

OP
Mac SK
Reaction score
Does your Blue Slot Load have the Firewire ports? I ran into one where Apple lowered the price and left out the firewire ports. Blue 350 Mhz Slot Load.

Yep..thats it. No firewire ports or external video.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yep..thats it. No firewire ports or external video.

I was going to mention that external VGA plug but many think I am imagining things! This is the same machine. No External VGA plug nor Fw. :D

This one was not free. Friend who wanted to "TEST THE WATERS of OSX" found it for $20 at a thrift store. They said it worked. It did not. All that was wrong was no RAM. Everything else was there including an install of 10.3. Slapped in 2x 256MB Dimms and it came alive.

OP
Mac SK
Reaction score
That's great!

Remember to post in the appropriate thread though. ;D

This is the appropriate thread...over in "I want an iMac!" No one told them to post in the appropriate thread...theres not even a machine just a dream.:Angry:

OP
Mac SK
Reaction score
I was going to mention that external VGA plug but many think I am imagining things! This is the same machine. No External VGA plug nor Fw. :D

This one was not free. Friend who wanted to "TEST THE WATERS of OSX" found it for $20 at a thrift store. They said it worked. It did not. All that was wrong was no RAM. Everything else was there including an install of 10.3. Slapped in 2x 256MB Dimms and it came alive.

This one had one 64mg stick...6 gig Hd. I stuck a 128 in to restore the OS. Its got white paint specks on it..working to get them off. I think I have another screen bezel to change out this one it has some scratches.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Congrats on the find!!!:)

At least it's not the 233mhz iMac G3 variety. Those things really are almost worthless...because they are not Airport compatible.

Congrats again,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, another missing feature on SK's and my friends Blue 350 Mhz Slot load, no Airport card carrier slot. Just the pads on the board. They left that, the FW and the Video Port off for a lower price! Grrrr! :D

Oh and Nick, I own one of the almost worthless 233 iMacs. Runs 10.2 pretty well! :D

And as far as I am concerned this thread is where it should be.

OP
Mac SK
Reaction score
Nick, another missing feature on SK's and my friends Blue 350 Mhz Slot load, no Airport card carrier slot. Just the pads on the board. They left that, the FW and the Video Port off for a lower price! Grrrr! :D

And as far as I am concerned this thread is where it should be.

Its got the antenna wire:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Mac SK
Reaction score
Congrats on the find!!!:)

At least it's not the 233mhz iMac G3 variety. Those things really are almost worthless...because they are not Airport compatible.

Congrats again,

- Nick

Already had the bottom off down to the MB..needs a battery you say..yep. Its strange how picked up an old Mac kinda gets the juices flowing. Doing that two wheel u-turn was fun.:D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL where exactly do you live that you find random Macs on the street?

OP
Mac SK
Reaction score
LOL where exactly do you live that you find random Macs on the street?

The suburbs of Atlanta...millions of people throwing out there old Macs.
There was some PC stuff with the Mac....from the age of a keyboard on the ground..a good Dell tower may have been there. Missed It..I guess.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Oh and Nick, I own one of the almost worthless 233 iMacs. Runs 10.2 pretty well! :D

I of course didn't totally mean that the 233mhz iMacs were really worthless! Obviously they're much better than some of the 20+ year old Mac's I have!;)

I was mostly thinking from the wireless networking perspective. There are so many G3 iMac models...I personally would steer clear of the 233mhz ones if possible. But if I got one for free...I would take it!:) These of course can still be networked via ethernet.

As far as the 350mhz iMacs. Seems there were two different 350mhz models...the "Slot Loading Blueberry" (1999) & the "Summer 2000 Indigo" model. Interestingly...the older "Blueberry" model was Airport compatible...and the newer "Indigo" model wasn't airport compatible.

Good thing this discussion came up...since my previous understanding was that only the 233mhz iMac was NOT Airport compatible...but I guess there's this "odd" 350mhz model that also cannot use airport. These things pop up on Craig's List all the time...so in the future I will have to be more careful when considering the 350mhz models.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just joking with you on the 233. It was great when it first hit the market but a bit SLOW now for sure! :D It's for sure the least desirable iMac out there.

I had also only known of the 350 with 2 FW ports and the socket for the Airport card. When my friend bought this I learned a lot also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the iMac is an Apple Desktop. That is why I saw no issue with it being here. Maybe another moderator will feel different and move it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just joking with you on the 233. It was great when it first hit the market but a bit SLOW now for sure! :D It's for sure the least desirable iMac out there.

I know that you were just kidding!;) You said what I meant to say earlier (but you said it much better)...that the 233 G3 iMac is the "least desirable" in the G3 iMac series.

As far as what forum this thread belongs in. The G3 iMac is a desktop computer...and this is the desktop section of the website...so this would seem to be the perfect place for this thread!:)

The "Anything Goes" section is for stuff like:

- Nice weather today (insert location).
- How about those Dallas Cowboys, Philly Eagles, or Chicago Bears (or any other Sports talk).
- What should I get my girlfriend or wife for her birthday or Christmas?
- What about that BP oil spill?
- Do you believe in Aliens?
- Is Elvis dead or alive?
- My feet stink...what should I do about it?;)

These are things that belong in the "Anything Goes" section. iMac talk no matter how old the model or how it is found or purchased...IMHO belongs best right here in the desktop section.:)

- Nick

p.s. BTW...here's the explanation that "Schweb" put together for the "Anything Goes" section:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/an...ent-not-just-anything-goes-anything-goes.html

And one of my favorite Mac-Forums quotations..."Not Just Anything Goes in Anything Goes!";)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.