need Optima Desktape 5.6 for OS 8.6

Reaction score
I have a ton of old DAT tape archives which were created using Optima Desktape in the 90s and early 00s, and the only way I can access these are on a very old Mac that has a trial of this software.

The computer I have is running OS 8.6 and the version of the trial I have is Optima Desktape 5.6. I've tried downloading this newly from different sites but it doesn't seem to be on any of the sites anymore (404 error...).

Does anyone have this software or know where I can get it? I need to be able to install it on another machine so I can get all the archives onto more stable and usable media.
If anyone has any experience with this software, please let me know!

Thanks!
R

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for answering!

I checked that link earlier - its unfortunately gives a 404 error, as does every other link I've seen for that software... looks like whatever the link was disappeared when the company went out of business. Too bad.

Now, I have a question. I looked up the device you mentioned - you have one of the "jukeboxes", right? So does Silverlinings run the machine to just copy them all off? (I knew someone else must have run into this....)

One of the things I realized after I posted looking for this software is that I think I'm off on a red herring looking for Disktape. The tapes I've got are Fujifilm DG-90M. I assume that even if they were created with Disktape I should be able to copy them straight onto any computer as long as I have a DAT drive that will read them, right?

I have over 900 tapes to copy over, so I'm looking for any ideas.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
The Dat Tapes should work in any Dat SCSI machine. Uless that Optima had somekind of different softwear..thay should all read and write the same. This Hp Surestore Ive got uses 2.6Gig optical disc. I use the Silverlinings as the driver. The difference would be they must be Mac formated and not from a PC. I used the Silverlinings to change the HP Optical drive to read and write Mac disc..it had be on a PC before I picked it up at a thrift store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.