• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut quicktime movie won't play on PC

Reaction score
I made a movie in final cut and I exported and compressed it to a quicktime movie and I posted it to a website. the movie plays fine on macs but only the sound plays on pcs. It gives me some error about not having the right compression plugins. I am assuming I need to change the settings when I export and compress I just don't know what to change the settings to. I need to keep the exported file size around 20 mb.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You are probably exporting with the H.264 codec which hasn't been officially released yet (Only a preview version) on windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
final cut is mac only app, so final cut QT wont play on PC. try to export using QT conversion (its in export dialog). choose QT movie and specify encoder settings for mpeg-4. mpeg-4 is universal codec for web and if you want to use your movie for web its the best compression you can get for now

Reaction score
Definitly a H.264 issue. It's out for the macs, but not yet for PC's (a preview release). I had the exact same issue with some of my movies that were exported in H.264.

Make sure to tell quicktime to export in MPEG-4.

Reaction score
same issue

I have been having the same issue with my movies not playing on PC's I have converted them to avi's and quicktime mpeg 4's but am still having the same problem the sound plays fine but the images are slow and juddered. I don't want it as a web file I want as full resolution as a movie but am running out of ideas of why it is not working. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
final cut is mac only app, so final cut QT wont play on PC. try to export using QT conversion (its in export dialog). choose QT movie and specify encoder settings for mpeg-4. mpeg-4 is universal codec for web and if you want to use your movie for web its the best compression you can get for now

I followed the advice here and it worked, but the quality is horrible (very grainy) when played back on both the PC and the Mac. Is there no way around this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You've revived a thread that was originally 6 years old, and the last post to it was 2 years ago? You need to just start a new thread of exactly what you have going on. I don't know what you're describing as grainy so it could be compression artifacts or just bad original video quality, more information is needed and really a separate post specifically with your problem and preferably some images from the video and/or a short portion of the video to view.

Reaction score
You've revived a thread that was originally 6 years old, and the last post to it was 2 years ago? You need to just start a new thread of exactly what you have going on. I don't know what you're describing as grainy so it could be compression artifacts or just bad original video quality, more information is needed and really a separate post specifically with your problem and preferably some images from the video and/or a short portion of the video to view.

What is going on for me is exactly what is stated in the first and fifth posting here. I expected to get hollered at if I posted a new post that stated what had already been posted on this thread in the past. That's why I didn't post a new thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Their problems are vague, and the original posters problem was from 6 years ago and things were a lot different then then they are now. But you haven't provided a sample of what you're seeing on your video to make a determination as to what the problem might be. My guess is that you've set a compression ratio too high or a bitrate too low or are just selecting a combination of things that just don't work well on most platforms.

Reaction score
Thanks for hanging in there with me, Nethfel. It is hard for me to explain what the specific problem was, except that the footage came out really grainy. Izzy Video was down for me yesterday. I went back on it last night and followed his steps exactly for exporting video and the mp4 came out great. I am not sure what I did, I just followed what he did on his tutorial. I would be clueless without this guy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you followed his steps and it came out great then most likely you had it set for too low of a quality or selected too low of a bitrate - his settings are good for high quality exports. (I myself almost never export for consumption out of FC, I usually let it export a rendered movie in the codec of the sequence (so it's a huge file) then use either Compressor or another tool to transcode it - I'm pretty sure he has a video covering use of Compressor as well)

But, I'm glad you got it worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.