Give folder access rights to files in folder

Reaction score
Hello. I'm running 10.6.3 on a mac mini and I have a little problem.

I've set up two accounts that have access (read/write) to a shared folder, so that I can use one of those accounts (userB) to access the files from a PC running Win7.

If userA creates a new file in the shared folder, that file will only have read/write rights for userA and not for userB.

I can right-click the folder and apply folder rights to all files in folder, and that would give userB read/write rights to that file, but I want it to happen automatically.

So.. anybody here who can help me? Is there a smarter way of doing the same thing?

Thanks

Edit: Just re-read the topic of my post.. haha, maybe not that good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I'm not sure that is possible, it goes against the whole permission security issue - setting permissions automatically regardless of the current user.

What you can do is execute a script to change the permissions or something along those lines. Although it would just save a few seconds compared to what you're doing atm.

Edit.
I know it doesn't solve your question, but can't you just access those files under the same user account?

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok.. No that script wouldn't help me unless I could run it automatically using automator when files are added of course. I'm not good at all at apple scripts, but I'll see what i can find.

But it strikes me as odd that no one has tried to do something like this before? I just want a folder with files (pictures) that me and my girlfriend both can access from our computers, her from a PC, me locally. And we should both have the possibility to add files to the folder that both of us can use.

I understand that it's possible to do with an external drive? But in my case that's not really optimal since I want to use that external drive to make backups of the photos...

Any ideas?

OP
S
Reaction score
Edit.
I know it doesn't solve your question, but can't you just access those files under the same user account?

Yeah I thought about that as well, but it doesnt feel right for her to use my account (with admin rights) from her computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
If it's between more people then using the same account isn't the best idea - true

How did you setup those shared folder? From System Preferences/Sharing with file sharing turned on? I can't check atm. to see if there are any options available, don't recall anything though

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how i did it. And I can access the folder just fine from the PC. Like I said, the problem is just that all files that I add wont get read/write permissions for both users, only the one who added the file. After a good bit of google-ing, it seems that this is infact how it works and that some thing called Access Control Lists were used before as a workaround, but that it doesnt work in 10.6 anymore?

I'm puzzled, and thanks for your help so far :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Well, don't know what to tell you, unfortunately :( except maybe good luck finding a working workaround?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Ok.. No that script wouldn't help me unless I could run it automatically using automator when files are added of course. I'm not good at all at apple scripts, but I'll see what i can find.

(snip)

Any ideas?

As far as I know, you CAN infact run scripts when files are added. Take a look at Folder Actions. Control click the folder you have shared. Then, select folder action setup.

I haven't yet had the time to look into Apple Script, but there are a few example scripts readily available, such as a notification if a file gets added to a folder, or a script that automatically rotates images as soon as they are put in a certain folder.

So if you can find anyone who can alter these scripts to change the permissions of a file when added, this can be automated.

Hope this may help you find a solution.

OP
S
Reaction score
Not sure, but I think that script would have to prompt me for the admin password? Just like it does if i change the permissions for a file manually... Or I don't know..

Giving my girlfriends account admin rights gave her the rights to at least open the pictures and watch them, so that's always something. But I guess it can't be very good to access a shared folder from windows using an admin account, from a security point of view?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Oh, right... I did not know that changing the permissions prompts for an admin password. I suppose a script won't do you much good then, no. Unless you would be able to hardcode your admin pass into the script, but thats never a good thing for security anyway...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.