How can I remove 'half files' and rubbish on my hard drive?

Reaction score
Hi 'guys'

I have only got 20gb left on my hard drive. It is running slow AND even freezing sometimes. (After a few minutes of thinking it will sort it's self out-I give up and force shutdown-Is that a bad idea??)

I have duplicate downloads because they didn't install properly.
I am sure there is loads of cr*p on the hard drive that is not needed.

So what I would like to know is:

What maintenance should I perform? (Like defrag ect.)
Is there a way to delete duplicate easily (I have stuffit but don't know how to use it):

What can I do to clean up, improve health and improve speed of my MBP?

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
This is something that I can directly help you with :)
First of all, defrags aren't needed under MacOS.
As to cleaning your drive of junk and dublicates, that is where MacKeeper comes in. It is an app by my company that brings together a set of cleaners and various other tools to keep your Mac in shape.
You can get the 15 day fully functional trial free(only difference with the full version is the 15 day limitation) to do the initial cleaning and check out the app.
The cleaners that MacKeeper has packed are:
- Binaries Cutter
- Duplicates Finder
- Languages Cutter
- Cache Cleaner
- Logs Cleaner
- Old Files Finder

Check ot the full description and download it at our website:
MacKeeper Official Website

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Noobies:

First, you should consider buying a larger hard drive. Large hard drives are inexpensive and easy to install.

Your machine does not have to be defragmented (as you've already been told) and as far as the dupe files are concerned, do a Spotlight search and remove them. But before you empty the trash, make sure they are in fact dupes.

Cleanup and maintenance utilities are available for free. I recommend downloading OnyX and running its scripts every so often to keep your machine running smoothly.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have to retaliate and say that CleanMyMac is our direct competitor and we are in no way associated with them. All the people behind MacKeeper work for ZeoBIT LLC, if you check the link in my signature you can see our faces(mine is on there as well). I would also like to remind you that some of the worlds best programmers came from eastern European countries.

Oh and using forums to sell software? Please.... Direct advertising is strictly against the rules of this forum and if all my posts would have been ads i think someone would have noticed by now. I have been posting here for a while giving useful advise on completely unrelated topics, a problem arises that our app can fix and I'm expected not to recommend it?

I would love to hear back from Noobies since this thread looks like it might go offtopic with all this bashing...

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this program, or any other, can search for multiple copies of the same file even if they have different names? Is there any program that does this?

Reaction score
MacKeeper does look for duplicates even if they have been renamed, you can read more about each cleaner at the app info page:
https://mackeeper.zeobit.com/dupl_finder

If you want to do a once over get MacKeeper trial, do the scan and cleanup and decide for yourself if you want to keep it or not, you will have 15 day full functionality anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.