• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Selling install disk on ebay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I had an auction listed up on ebay for a retail copy of Mac OS X Tiger. I listed that it was an original retail install dvd, and that it came in a plastic case.

This is what ebay sent to me: "Your listing has been removed.

Your item was removed because of a request we received from VeRO member BSA (Business Software Alliance) (US) asking us to remove the item for: Software offered for sale is in violation of an enforceable license agreement, which constitutes a copyright infringement."

The Tiger disk I was selling is Version 10.4, 2Z691-5305-A. Has anyone else had this issue before? The only reason I was selling on ebay was to make the most money off of it, I know there is a section here in the classified, but I need the extra cash right now to buy an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Strange one. Not come across this before for original discs. I've seen copies get removed, but not originals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27", MacBook Air 2010 13"
This is highly unusual. Maybe they thought it was an illegal version or something.
Did you try to contact ebay on this?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I did call and email the BSA, I got an email back from them and from what I gather from all their legal writing is: my auction was flagged an closed because you can not sell apple software without the orginal box and paperwork that it cam in. I had it listed and. Photo of the disk in a plastic case.

If that's the case I currently and have seen countless disk sold on eBay against the rules. Once I get back to a computer I will post a copy of the email they sent me...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a copy of the email they sent me explaining it to me:

Thank you very much for your email.

We, at the Business Software Alliance, act on our member companies' behalf.
They provide us with criteria to use to determine if an auction should be referred to eBay.

Your auction was shut down for one or more of the following reasons:

-The product listed was an educational version. Apple Educational software can only be transferred to Eligible Educational End Users.
-The product listed was indicated to not include the original media and/or original manual(s).
-The product listed was indicated to be OEM software, but did not include the associated hardware with which the software was originally bundled.
-The product listed indicated that it was a copy, CDR, or backup version
-The product listed indicated that it could not be registered or already is registered

Apple's End user License Agreement states:

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.

If you feel your auction listing was cancelled in error, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]. Please note that your email MUST contain the following information:

-Your ebay ID and the auction number(s) in question
-The serial number of the product you are selling. Alternatively, you may send a clear .jpg image of the front and bottom of the box, including any SKU labels

BSA Internet Enforcement Team
Business Software Alliance
[email protected]

So, I guess I'm out of luck selling it on ebay since I don't have the original box or papers for this disk. I'm guessing they will be watching my account for a few days to see if I list it again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sounds like Apple being overtly heavy handed to me. That really sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I suspect it is Apple trying to squash the hackintosh community.... though the humor of it is the hackintosh community uses p2p to pass along the mac OS, they don't generally try to get the actual disks. The actual disks would likely only appeal to someone that had lost their own original disks... So I would say its Apple being overly evil.... maybe when Jobs dies the company can step back from their overly protectionist policies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tell me did you use your own photo or was it taken from something else?

eBay are very strict on that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It was my own photo...

Bummer, and BS (IMO). Well, there is a pretty good market for these kinds of discs here. I'd gladly take it off your hands if I could find the reasonably priced G4 Mac Mini I've been searching for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
did it put a knock on your account at all?

if not Id just relist it.

if it did than you may want to use the B/S/T here or sell it on craigslist. remember on ebay youll have ebay fees + paypal fees, those add up. It also takes 3-4 days to transfer the money from paypal to your bank which is bull.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Well, there is a pretty good market for these kinds of discs here.
Exactly. It is a shame because there are many people who need these older OS disc because either theirs are lost or they can't make the jump to Snow Leopard since they don't have an Intel Mac. Apple is no longer making these older discs so there is no other way of getting them otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27", MacBook Air 2010 13"
Apple sometimes is a bit stupid.
If it really is to prevent the Hackintosh people then they should start with sewing PirateBay first, since that is where one can get most of the stuff, including Snow Leopard for example.

Maybe you can try selling the Disk on several Mac Forums on the Interwebz, since thats where most Apple/Mac -Fans are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I seriously doubt apple logged on and told ebay to take the listing down.

usually its ebay itself that does it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I don't necessarily think this is being pushed directly by Apple (I could be wrong). I think eBay is trying to cover their own rear ends in case it does come down to legal issues. I know eBay has made an issue about selling other software before so it might just be eBay's general policy. If that is the case then just don't use eBay. There are plenty of people on this forum who wants this disc for example. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may well be correct EndlessMac. eBay will certainly remove say install discs that come with a Dell machine being sold without that particular computer. Maybe their techos do not know the difference between a Tiger full retail install disc and a system specific disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Before this discussion ends, may I make a plea for the seller to list it in Buy/Sell/Trade section of Mac-Forums!!! There are M-F members hanging out for older Install disks, and a Sticky Thread has been created to accommodate the demand.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to just sell it here, but I wanted the extra cash I can make off of it from ebay to fund my iPad purchase. It seems that some items sell for an extra $20-30 on ebay. I'll list it up soon, I will also have a retail copy of Leopard available soon too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 8GB memory; 1TB HDD; ATI Radeon HD 4670.
Apple sometimes is a bit stupid.
If it really is to prevent the Hackintosh people then they should start with sewing PirateBay first, since that is where one can get most of the stuff, including Snow Leopard for example.

Maybe you can try selling the Disk on several Mac Forums on the Interwebz, since thats where most Apple/Mac -Fans are.

A bit off topic but I wanted to comment on a suit against PirateBay. So many companies have tried to shut pirate bay down. Their government won't allow it to happen. Talk about being safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.