Proper Uninstall ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
most applications i no longer want on my MB i uninstall with AppCleaner --now one does not appear in there: Lynx Textbrowser, what would be the proper way to uninstall it without it leaving files behind (i like to keep the machine clean and tidy :}

thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
May I ask why it is you want to uninstall Lynx? I understand tidy (I'm there with you) but removing software, especially in parts of the filesystem that shouldn't be touched unless you absolutely know what you're doing, might be excessive. On top of this, how much room does Lynx really take up?

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
not sure how much space it uses (very little i suspect)... i want to remove it because 1. i do not use it 2. the lack of an icon bugs me..

i would know what i was doing if explained i guess.. been around (mainly Win/Linux/DOS pc's) for about 20 years i think, and want to learn what i can about Mac (have some Mac experience, but not enough yet) and from the looks of it i'm a convert, using MacBook 100% of the time at work, have Vista laptop sitting here in case, but have not used it for a week and a half now :}

tks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Lynx did not come with your system. If you have Lynx installed, you must have installed it. There are several ways you could have done this.

To remove it, you'll have to reverse the steps you took when you installed it in the first place.

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
yes, i did install it (didn't think i denied that anywhere),

reverse step of double-clicking a .dmg would be ? :}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
yes, i did install it (didn't think i denied that anywhere),

reverse step of double-clicking a .dmg would be ? :}
Double-clicking a .dmg causes it to mount as a volume on your desktop. The reverse of this would be to unmount (eject) the volume by dragging it to the Trash.

If that's all you've done, you haven't installed anything anyway. You can then just delete the .dmg.

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Double-clicking a .dmg causes it to mount as a volume on your desktop. The reverse of this would be to unmount (eject) the volume by dragging it to the Trash.

If that's all you've done, you haven't installed anything anyway. You can then just delete the .dmg.

guessing i have to be really specific here :}.... yes, you are correct on the mounting, but after that i ran a file called install.command which contains:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd `echo "$0"|cut -d "/" -f1-3`
clear	
	echo "\nInstalling From:"\ `pwd`

echo "\nEnter Your password.."

sudo echo "Installing Config File(s)"

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/etc
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin

#sudo cp ./lynx.cfg /usr/local/etc
sudo ./install-cfg.sh cp lynx.cfg /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg
sudo ./install-cfg.sh cp lynx.lss /usr/local/etc/lynx.lss
sudo cp ./lynx /usr/local/bin
sudo ln -sf /usr/local/bin/lynx /usr/bin/lynx

echo "DONE:... Drag Lynx.command to Applications..."

now.. i'm assuming i could follow those paths and delete the files ?

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
thanks Harry... but "trash" says "command not found" :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you install it again, use the terminal command and everything should then be deleted.

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Suggest you install it again, use the terminal command and everything should then be deleted.

guess you mean the install.command ? or is there a Terminal command to install Lynx (as said, somewhat newbee...) plus after that, wouldn't "trash" still be a unknown command ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.