had my iphone stolen - what next?

Reaction score
hi
further to my thread about waiting for the new v4 iphone I've had my handbag stolen with my precious m much loved iphone in it!!!

I have finished my 02 contract so in effect i have bought the phone. i don't want to upgrade as i'm waiting for the v4 to come out. i was on a monthly 02 simplicity tariff while waiting.

I can probably get the cost back on our car or home insurance - eventually.

I rang o2 and they suggested i get a cheap phone on a pay monthly tariff and keep up the simplicity tariff. So i got a nokia 2730 - its driving me mad !! i can't synch anything from my mac to the phone grrrrh! Im suffering from iphone withdrawal.

Is it worth me trying to get a reconditioned iphone or what?? I can't go on like this - what do you all suggest i do - i could be waiting for 2-3 months for the new v4 iphone

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would advise you to hang on a bit longer. No point in buying a reconditioned iPhone when the new version is just around the corner. Be patient and wait at least until the end of June.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
or Do you have a MobileMe account? If so, you can trace it...

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks - benparko i do have a mobileme acc and as soon as i could get online i tried to trace it and it was listed as not on a network - i blocked it with o2 as well so maybe this is why it was untraceable. for good measure i asked mobileme to erase all data on it too.

I think i'm stuck with the nokia until the new iphone comes out - there are no other feasible options...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe its showing as not on a network because it's off. It won't matter if you've blocked it with o2 AND erased all of the data, im 90% sure that when they reinstall a new firmware and put ANY sim card in, you can still trace it.

Maybe send an email to Apple and explain what happened and see if you can trace it. Because it's the GPS chip that it's tracing, not the SIM.

Double check it before being stuck with your Nokia.

Then once you do find it, you may be able to get your other belongings back when the stole your purse. But obviously if you do locate it, call the police, don't go alone :)

I hope you get it back!

Regards,

-Ben

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks, Benparko
I hadn't thought about contacting apple - i've emailed them - i'll let you know if they get back to me and what they suggest.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also to rember to keep checking online to see if you can trace it.

-Ben

GXT

Reaction score
wait...

I'd get a reconditioned iPhone for now, they are pretty cheap and you should be able to find one with a reasonable half-life. I think the 4G is around the corner, but

1) the lines will be outrageous,
2) you should wait to see what bugs show up, and
3) accessories, like cases will lag behind the initial release.

Its hard to wait, but its irritating to have a buggy phone, no matter how cool it looks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd get a reconditioned iPhone for now, they are pretty cheap and you should be able to find one with a reasonable half-life. I think the 4G is around the corner, but

1) the lines will be outrageous,
2) you should wait to see what bugs show up, and
3) accessories, like cases will lag behind the initial release.

Its hard to wait, but its irritating to have a buggy phone, no matter how cool it looks!

There is no point in buying a reconditioned iPhone 2G. Wait until the 4G comes out. You should be able to get your hands on one in the next month. You also don't have to go line up at an Apple Store. Just go to an o2 store or CarPhoneWarehouse who stock the iPhone. I'm not sure what other carriers in the UK will stock it with the new microSIM.

I've had my 3GS since July 2009 and without a case and it doesn't have ANY damage or scatches to it at all. I just have an anti glare screen shield on.

And to be honest, how many bugs did we see in the release of the original iPhone? Well, ones that were seriously affecting every day use?? NONE. Minor bugs and ofcourse many improvements in later firmware releases.

WAIT FOR THE NEXT iPhone TO BE RELEASED WITHIN ONE MONTH!! :D

Peace,

-Ben

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, I had my iPhone 4 stolen last Friday i have checked and checked find my iphone but to no luck it just keeps saying its offline it has a handset and sim block (as I rang up straight away) but does that mean it's 100% they wont be able to use it? Some people are just.. urgh.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure what a handset block is, but if they put a different SIM card in it I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use it.

You MIGHT be able to convince your service provider (which I presume the iPhone is locked to) to block the IMEI which would effectively render the phone useless to everyone, but good luck accomplishing that, the provider has NO incentive to do this and every incentive NOT to.

If you haven't already, you can use Find My iPhone to wipe the phone should it ever come back online ...

Reaction score
I think they've already blocked the IMEI because they told me no matter what sim card is put into it, it wouldn't work. It just frustrating me because I keep checking back on to Find My iPhone and everytime I do it's obviously offline, I didn't really want to wipe the phone because then FMI would be wiped too and we've left a message on it for if they try to sell it on or whatever they'll know it's stolen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.