Ibook resurrected, any ideas on updating it??????

Reaction score
Alright so I just got my logic board repaired and back in the mail today, had installed it in my ibook and it's now working :D I'm pretty stoked as it was a very cheap repair and now I don't have to spend a grip on a new mac.

my question is, what's the newest software that I could possibly update it with to make it the best it can be?????

Specs : Ibook G4
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
1.5GB DDR SDRAM
MAC OS X Version 10.4.2 it was updated to something a little newer when I received it before, but while I was trying to figure out what the problem was before, I reloaded the original current software version.

thanks in advance for any help guys ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
This will take u to 10.4.11. Best OS - that depends on what spins your wheels - Tiger is very good on that iBook but iBook will run Leopard if you have a need for a few more bells and whistles.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks man, appreciate the help. I downloaded it and tried it out, at least I can watch some youtube now, before the upgrade it'd just close the browser window whenever I tried to go to youtube. I'm not positive as of yet though what else effects the upgrade had.

I'm wondering if it'll be able to go to a higher software, better than Tiger or is it the highest software this particular laptop can handle????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
The newest OS that will run on it is Leopard - 10.5 but my suggestion is to not upgrade unless essential to achieve a specific aim and i cannot think what that would be. Unless that iBook has had an upgrade in size of HD adding 10.5 is going to chew up a bunch of the remaining space on the HD so seems little benefit in making the shift.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What did upgrading to 10.4.11 do? Many things. Many fixes, patches, upgrades, improvements to Safari, Mail and many other apps, many security patches. Running 10.4.2 is not a very good thing and the reason why you could not visit many sites. Many things have changed over the years and the .11 update is very important.

I own that same 12" iBook 1.33Ghz with 1.5GB ram. 10.5 Leopard runs fine on my iBook but you can notice it's more of a strain to run 10.5 with the old G4 than you see with 10.4 Tiger. I installed 10.5 as I needed it for helping others and some of the new features, but now with 10.4.11, if everything works fine, I would just stick with it for now.

OP
R
Reaction score
sounds good, thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it as i'm not too familiar with macs and wanted to start off with something cheap and basic and then eventually get into the higher end macs later when i have reason to. for now, the ibook does what i need it to do, which is basically be a netbook ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.