Pink lines in LCD display after repair (MacBook Pro Late 2008 - refurbished)

Reaction score
It's has been a little over two weeks (although it is worth noting that I was out of the country for one of those weeks and never touched my computer) since I had my computer repaired under warranty at an Apple store. They replaced my logic board as well as my optical drive. It is also worth noting that early on had a roommate drop my MBP and dent the corner of the display. This has caused no ill effects other than the glass has come unglued at the top of the display. Obviously this was not covered by the warranty and was not repaired. After opening my MBP today, I found pink vertical lines showing up. I tapped the screen a little and they went away. Later, small blue and black horizontal lines began to pop and blink intermittently but this too would cease. Then again a little later the pink vertical lines came back and now will not go away. If I return to the store, I feel like it was be far too easy for the genius to assume the problem is a result of my dented display, but I find it (in my very limited knowledge on the subject) that it is a result of my repair of virtually a week ago. Any information regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
One, tell your roommate "hands off" LOL

Two, it sounds like the graphics card may have a loose connection now, or may be damaged as a result from the fall (more subtle damage anyways). If a Genius says the lines are from the fall, immediately try to discredit that- they should investigate all possible work arounds (let's call them suggestions).

OP
J
Reaction score
I assumed the remedy would be to march back up there.

Just thought I would find some sort of direction in explanation. Also, I forgot to attach the screencapture in my initial post. It's also worth noting that "the fall" happened about a month after I bought the computer, which was about 10 months ago, and until the repair I never had any display problems.

Screen shot 2010-05-25 at 2.23.57 AM.png

Reaction score
Just thought I would find some sort of direction in explanation. Also, I forgot to attach the screencapture in my initial post. It's also worth noting that "the fall" happened about a month after I bought the computer, which was about 10 months ago, and until the repair I never had any display problems.

I don't see any pink lines to speak of, so it's definitely a problem with the hardware as the screenshot does not show the problem you mentioned. LCD's are fragile, so it can be narrowed down to two things:

1) The graphics card is loosened, or the connection to it is loosened.

2) The LCD may have fine cracks in it, resulting in the lines.-

I would say #2 is probably it. LCD's work by way of crystals in some sort of liquid that applies charge when powered which causes the crystals to align. If the fall did anything to this, some of the crystals may not be aligning at the charge (they may be slightly damaged etc.). Tapping on the screen may cause them to align.

Really this is only a rough hunch, but in any case, you're better off taking the computer to an Apple Retail Store where they'll send it off to either replace the screen, or replace the graphics card/repair the connection to the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.