• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Report: So far the new intel macs are slow

E

embries

I see one problem with the analysis. Nowhere on the scores was it stressed that they were comparing a dual 64bit processor to a single 32bit processor. All in all a good read but not very informative.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Interesting read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
embries said:
I see one problem with the analysis. Nowhere on the scores was it stressed that they were comparing a dual 64bit processor to a single 32bit processor. All in all a good read but not very informative.

When they release the mac with intels in them wont' they be 64 bit?

C

Colin Barnhorst

By next year the Itels should be dual-core 64-bit chips up and down the line at the consumer level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is good news, but is tiger made for the 64 bit chip in x86 format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
MadSkillzMan said:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Report_Intel_Macs_Significantly_Slower/1118249457

Of corse theyre slow because

1. its early stages of development
2. its intel lol

They mainly pick on the Rosetta Stone, well duh! of corse its going to be slow.

Emulation (Rosetta) is always slow. VirtualPC is an extreme example (emulating x86 on PowerPC.)

When the first PowerPC Macs shipped, they used an emulator to run 680x0 software. (Which was 90+% of software at the beginning.) In many cases, something like a Quadra 700 (a two-year-old machine by then) would match the fancy new Power Macs running 680x0 software. Only when native software became available did the advantage manifest itself.

If you have a large library of PowerPC software, you'll probably be better off buying PowerPC hardware now (or in the next year or so, as the last new PowerPC machines come out.) During the transition, PowerPC Macs will be faster than Intel Macs as often as not.

F

falltime

MadSkillzMan said:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Report_Intel_Macs_Significantly_Slower/1118249457

Of corse theyre slow because

1. its early stages of development
2. its intel lol

They mainly pick on the Rosetta Stone, well duh! of corse its going to be slow.

It's Intel?

Not entirely sure what that means.

The fact that the Intel procs were even able to match and beat the Dual G5 in some tests under Rosetta Emulation w/ PowerPC native binaries doesn't say much for the G5....

I think the article totally missed the point with it's headline "Report: Intel Macs Significantly Slower" - Apple clearly released the results to demonstrate how well the Intel procs are doing in the primitive stages of this transition.

A year is a HUGE amount of time in the PC industry, and by the release of the first x86 Intel-based mac, we'll be seeing significantly different benchmark results.

Reaction score
Hopefully by the time these machines start showing up universal binaries will be available for all your apps so you won't even need Rosetta

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Benchmarks under emulation of any kind are less than useless.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah because the program doing the benchmark is going to be slower because it is being emulated, esspecially a new emulator that just was announced not to long ago.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The question is why benchmark a non-production system? Weren't those system design for a programming environment, while the production systems are being designed and built. I don't see what this bench mark tell me, except that the developer don't have a fast machine to work with.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
rman said:
The question is why benchmark a non-production system? Weren't those system design for a programming environment, while the production systems are being designed and built. I don't see what this bench mark tell me, except that the developer don't have a fast machine to work with.

These benchmarks were done on a display model at the show not a delivered developer machine, who knows what is actually inside it!

Amen-Moses

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still a non production machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Seems a moot point anyway. The die is cast. Two years from now the G5 vs P4 "debate" will be long forgoten.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Sounds like the writers/testers for this article were just looking for a headline that would generate alot of clicks..... "The new Intel-Macs suck and we have made it sound like we have proof"........

Yeah... that should do it.

That being said they do come around towards the end of the article and remind everyone that this transition still has over a year to improve before it even matters.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A non production machine using Emulation. Show me any Emulator that is as fast as what it's emulating.

And to tell the truth I have little respect for Xbench or any other synthetic benchmark anyway and especially so under an Emulator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.