help with itunes compilations in grid view

Reaction score
I'm using grid view (artist) in iTunes and I just started to group all my compilations together (i used to just put "various artists" under the album artist tag but this seems to be more organized)

but now i'm just wondering, is there any way to get all the compilations to appear separately under the compilations group without switching to album grid view?, cause right now there's just one icon which isn't very convenient.

33wwjt4.png

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
In each album tag, under "Album Artist", you can enter the album name there. Do this under "Info" and under "Sorting". This won't affect the actual "Artist" tag... it will still show as "Various Artists", and it will still be filed in your iTunes Music folder under "Compilations". But it otherwise will accomplish exactly what you are looking to do.

OP
M
Reaction score
In each album tag, under "Album Artist", you can enter the album name there. Do this under "Info" and under "Sorting". This won't affect the actual "Artist" tag... it will still show as "Various Artists", and it will still be filed in your iTunes Music folder under "Compilations". But it otherwise will accomplish exactly what you are looking to do.

this seems to work a little bit

i entered the album artist name as the cd under sorting
1eqjdc.png

and the album artist as Various Artists
o9fhy0.png

which made the soundtrack appear under the S heading but with the name still listed as Various Artists
2ijgk0l.png

but i still can't figure out how to get that soundtrack (and all of them) separately under the compilations heading. when i enter "compilations" in album artist it puts it under the C heading

edit: this is what i'm trying to achieve (instead of all of the compilations contained under that one icon)

15xg5u.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
this seems to work a little bit

i entered the album artist name as the cd under sorting

and the album artist as Various Artists

which made the soundtrack appear under the S heading but with the name still listed as Various Artists

but i still can't figure out how to get that soundtrack (and all of them) separately under the compilations heading. when i enter "compilations" in album artist it puts it under the C heading

edit: this is what i'm trying to achieve (instead of all of the compilations contained under that one icon)

I'm not quite sure what you are doing. Are you putting "Compilations" in one of the tags? Rather than do that, under Options (I believe), there is a field that will let you mark the song as part of a compilation. In those cases, change that to yes for all the songs in the compilation album.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.