Iwork Numbers - Question About Sorting, Video Game Collection

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm listing my video game collection using Iwork Numbers. But I don't like the way it sorts ascending. For example:

I have "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" and "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" in my list. I click on "Sort Ascending" and when I do that, second game comes first in the list! What can I do to make the first game on top?

I don't want that type of sorting:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

I want this:

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

Please help, thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. So `Sort Descending' is not what you want? Seems that would do the trick.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes but I want them to be listed alphabetically. So I want the first game on top. When I was using Excel on Windows 2 years ago, when I alphabetically listed them, the first games (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) were on top. So what can I do to fix that on Numbers? I think that Numbers take "2" before ":" in order. So I think I must change that. I'm waiting for your answers, thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Changing sort order in the way you want is not something i can help with. I would put a character in front of uncharted to force the sort order.

OP
S
Reaction score
to sleazy

Why does it take "space2" before than the ":" in Mac. If it doesn't on Windows, maybe it can be change on Mac somehow? Anyway thanks...

OP
S
Reaction score
And in alphabetical order which comes first generally?

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
OR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
In my days as a datamanager I'd get round this by creating an extra column called 'Sort Order Name' or some such. Make this equal to the name field (copy/paste or use a formula) for all your records except for the awkward ones. For example for your two problem records the Sort Order Name could be 'Uncharted1' and 'Uncharted2'. Then sort on the Sort Order Name field and you're sorted so to speak!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, it did work!
So I must keep this column there all the time and hide it.
This type of work is usefull for video game collection list because its not that long.

But for my movie list, I add new titles so often. And list has about 5000 movies. So I can't predict which titles are awkward. Got any practical idea for that too? Anyway thanks for your all help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.