parallels vmware or bootcamp for printing

Reaction score
Hello - I am a PC user currently about to make the switch to a macbook pro. However, I just would like to know if it is possible to use one of either bootcamp, parallels or vmware to print on my macbook, to my dell printer (not supported by apple). If so, which of the three is likely the best for me to do this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would say Boot Camp because then you could use your Windows drivers as normal. However, Dell printers are actually rebranded Lexmark units. Folks have found that if you can match the Dell with the correct Lexmark, the OS X printer driver for the Lexmark will work on the Dell. But if you don't want to hunt around, running Windows from a Boot Camp partition is probably best.

The reason I didn't mention Parallels is because it uses "Guest Tools" to supply drivers for emulation. Printing from a VM can be hit and miss depending on the printer.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.