• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Please help with video camera and editing software

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure where to post this, but here it goes. I am looking to purchase a camcorder (probably an HD, but lower end $400-$500 range) possibly SD. I read that importing video in to iMovie 09 to edit degrades the quality. Is that true? Is that also true for Final Cut Express (willing to buy)?

Does anyone have a camcorder you like that records in a native format for either of those programs to preserve video quality? I have no idea about any of this stuff!

Any advise/suggestions/tips would be VERY appreciated...baby is due any day :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
Not sure about the quality degrading in iMovie, but it definitely won't be affected in Final cut. if you plan to do just simple home movies, I would stick to iMovie for editing. Final cut express is more advanced and more difficult to use.

The Canon Vixia HF200 camcorder works well with Macs and isn't too expensive depending on where you buy it.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks!

thank you for your help! I just finished researching it and it looks like it will take up a ton of disc space when it's imported, so I might just have to go with a lowly SD camcorder that records in mpeg2. Sigh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i have a JVC camcorder with the little tapes... planning on copying the tapes to my MacBook using FireWire (that's how i did it on my XP pc), would iMovie be the software to use ? i want to put them on a DVD to have a more permanent copy..

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.