iBook won't load web pages...

Reaction score
My ancient (circa 2004) iBook G4 has a problem loading webpages. When I start using Safari, pages load fine, but after about 5 minutes, new pages won't open, and the computer just grinds to a halt.

This happened about a year ago, and I found a troubleshooting thing somewhere that said to empty the cache and reset Safari, and at the time, it worked. This time, it's not working.

Any ideas? Please be gentle... I'm a computer idiot...

Jen

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Could you tell us first what version of OSX you are running like say 10.4.11 and what Safari version it is also?

OP
J
Reaction score
Could you tell us first what version of OSX you are running like say 10.4.11 and what Safari version it is also?

Ohhhh, boy. Now you're asking tough questions! I'd have to look to be sure, but I added OSX 10 when it first came out, and haven't touched it since then. Safari too... I'm pretty sure it's original to the computer without being updated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ohhhh, boy. Now you're asking tough questions!

If you can't do this...you don't belong on a Macintosh computer!!!;)

Go to:

- Apple menu
- Select "About this Mac"

This screen will tell you what OS you're running. Also tell us how much ram you have & the processor speed (this screen will tell you these things as well).

If you are low on ram...this could also explain the slowness. But remember...this computer is old...and some webpages are complex. So don't think that you're going to be able to go to webpages like "You-Tube"...and get fast performance.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
If you can't do this...you don't belong on a Macintosh computer!!!;)

Go to:

- Apple menu
- Select "About this Mac"

This screen will tell you what OS you're running. Also tell us how much ram you have & the processor speed (this screen will tell you these things as well).

If you are low on ram...this could also explain the slowness. But remember...this computer is old...and some webpages are complex. So don't think that you're going to be able to go to webpages like "You-Tube"...and get fast performance.

- Nick

I'm not expecting fast performance... actually, my daughter uses the laptop now, mostly for Facebook and such. She said she clicks on a page, and it just does nothing... won't open.

anyway, here's the info you asked for:

it says the following:
processor 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM
startup disk Macintosh HD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We really need the OS version. Right about the Processor should be Mac OS S and the version. Can you check again please?

Picture 2.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.