Scanner Noise at Start Up

Reaction score
Re: Canon CanoScan 4400F on Mac 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard)

Is there a way to eliminate the "scanner noise" that occurs when the computer starts up? The scanner is not among the devices that startup when the computer starts up. At least, the scanner is not listed in the Accounts - Login Items section.

Thanks for any tips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The noise you hear is probably the 'communication' between Mac and Canon. Is the Canon left switched on (standby) all the time? If so, simply turn it off before you turn your Mac off.

Reaction score
Just a simple advice. You dont want noise in start up right. Just turn off your speaker or headphone or even drag down the volume..
Simple.

OP
S
Reaction score
The noise you hear is probably the 'communication' between Mac and Canon. Is the Canon left switched on (standby) all the time? If so, simply turn it off before you turn your Mac off.

Yes, I think this is correct. This noise is a communication between the scanner and the computer. But there is no on-off switch on the scanner itself. The only hard buttons on the scanner is a row of buttons for pdf, copy, photo and email. But no on-off button or switch for whatever reason.

Also, this communication noise comes from the scanner itself, and not through the speakers.

Maybe the scanner automatically turns on and off as the computer turns on and off. That's my best guess, but again, the scanner isn't listed as a start up device in the accounts window.

Since this noise is supposed to happen, there may be no way of "turning it off."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
This noise is a communication between the scanner and the computer. But there is no on-off switch ... Since this noise is supposed to happen, there may be no way of "turning it off."

'Round the back' as we'd say here. Is there a rocker switch near the power-in plug, maybe along the side of the scanner? It'd be highly unusual for an external device such as a scanner not to have a power switch.

But, supposing it hasn't, then you'll need to become skilled at pulling the power plug from the scanner. Not difficult, just annoying.

The other option is to use a switch-enabled power board, something I'd recommend to anyone using a variety of external devices.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Epson scanner has no Power Switch either. I have it plugged into a surge protector with 6 switched outlets and simply turn it off unless I need to scan something.

OP
S
Reaction score
I talked to technical support at Canon and they said there is no power switch for their scanners. This scanner automatically turns on and off as the computer turns on and off. But it sounds like some scanners do have an external power switch, which I think is preferable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In which case, put the Canon power plug into a switched power board, you won't regret it. Pulling the power plug from the unit is effective - but a bit primitive.

Interesting that dtravis' Epson also has no power switch. I guess the thinking is that so many computers are left on all day/all night in so many situations, that a power switch is superfluous. I'm so used to powering devices off overnight, or during lengthy absences, that a power switch is essential.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.