My iPhone 3GS can't be turned on

Reaction score
Hi there, I was hoping someone here could help me with my iPhone.

I've tried pretty much everything to get it to work, but no luck at all so far.

The battery was getting low so I had to charge it using a car charger that had a USB port. The cable used was one of those for an older version of the iPod, the bigger ones.

I barely charged it, but felt like the phone was getting pretty hot.

Once the battery died, I couldn't turn it back on again. Tried all the methods suggested.

I'm thinking, could it be possible that because the USB cable wire wasn't compatible for the iPhone it somehow fried the battery or something?

This happened to my mum's iPhone few days back too, never thought it was because of that car charger.

Thanks for all your help!!

Kershia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Have you tried charging it at home with a standard USB charger? Sometimes when the battery dies on a iPhone it might take a good bit of charging before you can turn it on again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a guess, but don't the old iPod cords use the Firewire charging pin that newer iPods/iPhones don't work with? I'd be willing to bet it never did get a charge.

Can you use the cable that came with it to charge?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yup, tried charging it with my original cable the entire night. Even tried connecting to my Mac, doesn't even charge or recognise it. I believe the battery is totally gone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yup, tried charging it with my original cable the entire night. Even tried connecting to my Mac, doesn't even charge or recognise it. I believe the battery is totally gone.

Well, if you're confident that it's the battery, you can always get a replacement, instructions and tools here:

iPhone Parts - iFixit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
one thing to try... helped a few folks i know (incl. myself) phone OFF, hold the Home key while plugging it into computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.