• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone coming to Verizon AND Sprint, or just Sprint???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would be shocked if Sprint got the iPhone at all ...this year. I'd be even more shocked if Sprint did and VZW didn't. That would be the upset of the year IMHO. ;)
Wouldn't it make more sense for Apple to go with the largest mobile provider in the U.S.?? I'm not getting my hopes up, but if it turns out that way I'll be pleased as punch since I won't have to switch from Sprint. I'm very happy with their service and coverage where I live and where I travel.
I'm not holding my breath....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Part of me can see this being true and part of me can't, Sprint just got the EVO mega Android smart phone. It would certainly be a shot in the arm that Sprint could use, to boost sales.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Anything that would indicate Apple breaking exclusivity with AT&T is a good thing in my book.

I would definitely be willing to shop Sprint in the event this were true. I'm still within the 30 days to return my Incredible and break contract with VZW :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Anything that would indicate Apple breaking exclusivity with AT&T is a good thing in my book.

I would definitely be willing to shop Sprint in the event this were true. I'm still within the 30 days to return my Incredible and break contract with VZW :D

BTW: How are you liking the Incredible?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
BTW: How are you liking the Incredible?

Not sure that I want to get into it here, but I'm pleased with it overall. I have a review written up that I'm considering posting to the blog, stay tuned.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be shocked if Sprint got the iPhone at all ...this year. I'd be even more shocked if Sprint did and VZW didn't. That would be the upset of the year IMHO. ;)
Wouldn't it make more sense for Apple to go with the largest mobile provider in the U.S.?? I'm not getting my hopes up, but if it turns out that way I'll be pleased as punch since I won't have to switch from Sprint. I'm very happy with their service and coverage where I live and where I travel.
I'm not holding my breath....

I actually see where Sprint would be more amenable to letting Apple have things their way. They are bleeding customers and need something to stave it. They also have been very open to the iPhone, having made available and promoted that device (something akin to a mobile hotspot that translates GSM to CDMA, or something like that) that actually lets you use an iPhone on their network. Verizon is notoriously stubborn and may not prove to be the kind of partner that Apple wants, even now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I actually see where Sprint would be more amenable to letting Apple have things their way. They are bleeding customers and need something to stave it. They also have been very open to the iPhone, having made available and promoted that device (something akin to a mobile hotspot that translates GSM to CDMA, or something like that) that actually lets you use an iPhone on their network. Verizon is notoriously stubborn and may not prove to be the kind of partner that Apple wants, even now.

Good points. I could see Sprint making a very desirable offer to Apple just to get their business.
At this point, it's all speculation but I'm excited to see if the iPhone goes anywhere besides AT&T and if so, which network. I would be very sad and disappointed if nothing happened and AT&T kept their exclusivity for another year or two. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
There are a couple new rumors floating about, neither with much apparent credibility so take them for what they are. One claims Sprint is getting a CDMA iPhone as well as Verizon, another says Sprint is, but not Verizon.

iPhone coming to Sprint. Best Buy Employee CONFIRMS | The Tech Update

Murmurs persist of iPhone for Sprint | Electronista

I really think the Best Buy employee is just wanting attention. I mean, the legitimacy of this, can one really qualify it?

However, I use a Cricket Broadband device for my MacBook when traveling across the country, and Cricket uses Sprint towers. But I don't want my aunt to kill my phone line in the event I decide to go Sprint and get an iPhone. What I'm sure a few of us would like to see is the iPhone on multiple carriers, much like Motorola did with the RAZR. But that's just a wish and a dream more than likely not a reality.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really think the Best Buy employee is just wanting attention. I mean, the legitimacy of this, can you really qualify it?

I never portrayed it as legitimate. In fact, I stated differently: "...neither with much apparent credibility so take them for what they are".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If it is true that AT&T will lose its exclusivity then it would be great for Apple to add more than just Verizon. The carriers that are losing customers are more willing to give us better deals on their service.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is true that AT&T will lose its exclusivity then it would be great for Apple to add more than just Verizon. The carriers that are losing customers are more willing to give us better deals on their service.

Amen to that! I called my wife and mentioned the Sprint rumor (albeit a long shot of one) and she was quite excited. They have really good rate plans AND have very good service here, from what she knows from a friend who has them, and from what I've been able to dig up myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Reaction score
I never portrayed it as legitimate. In fact, I stated differently: "...neither with much apparent credibility so take them for what they are".

I was generalizing. If in all effort one should probably take this with a grain of salt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Amen to that! I called my wife and mentioned the Sprint rumor (albeit a long shot of one) and she was quite excited. They have really good rate plans AND have very good service here, from what she knows from a friend who has them, and from what I've been able to dig up myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

As a Sprint user, I am as well. I'm not totally sure I'd switch over to the iPhone, but I'd definitely consider it and I'd love to have the option.

I'm loving Sprint so far. The reason I switched (from US Cellular - a midwestern provider) in the first place was to get a better smart phone than what USCC offered at the time. I briefly considered ATT, but they have poor service in my area and it would have been way more than I wanted to pay. Sprint has great plans. iPhone would be a great addition to Sprint's line, of course. I'm not holding my breath on this rumor, but it'd be nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The thing is it seems pretty obvious that Apple cares about how many users they have because awhile back they were trying to refute the claim that Android had more users. If Apple does want more users then they will need to have the iPhone on more than just two mobile phone carriers.

I would be surprised if the rumor about Sprint wasn't true unless I'm missing some reason that would keep Apple from adding Sprint also. I guess we will all know soon enough. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if the iPhone is going anywhere else, One thing I think we can all agree on is that At&t is going to do everything in their power to keep exclusivity, They would probably sell their souls to Apple just keep it (figuratively speaking)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

While that is a true statement, you have to wonder why those carriers are losing customers in the first place. Usually it's because their service just plain sucks. A nice phone on a crappy network still sucks. AT&T got bit by this problem and have been slow in rectifying it although their service has become significantly better (IMHO) in the last 6 months or so.

As for the iPhone going VZW or Sprint, my Magic 8 Ball simply says "NO".

Reaction score
Every indication I've been reading lately say the iPhone is not going to any other carrier, at least this year in all likelihood. With that said I would not be surprised to see it happen within the next 2 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Were going to find out on June 7th. Personally I don't care I'm over the iPhone, My iPad does everything I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If the new iphone is a decent price and not costing more then an ipad now as it is.

Right now in Australia
ipads - $629-$1049
iphone - $719 - $1040

Well the iphone is practically the same price as an ipad like why? It has a smaller screen, older hardware etc. I think they really need to rethink their prices there. Cause I'm really in the market for a new phone. And really want an Apple iphone. But at those prices I'd have to chose iphone or ipad. If the iphone was cheaper I could choose iphone now and ipad later and Apple would get 2 sales from me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.