Openoffice vs alternatives on Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

I have to go through documents on my Mac, that can process documents as with openoffice on windows.

I have just discovered that there is an version of officeopen for Mac!

My question, is the openoffice version for Mac the same kind of version - as we know on Window; I am lookking for user views!

The last few weeks, I have tried to use "Textedit as an alternative on my Mac, to process documents but now realize it has many limitations!

Is the openoffice, one of the best choices for Mac users with all its capabilities/shortcomings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I use OpenOffice on my MBP and it works great. I've only used it for docs and spread sheets, so I cannot comment on the "power point" features. But yes, I would say it is a great choice. The other application that Mac-Forums members will recommend is Neo Office. I've never used it, but hear it is similar and it is free too!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

may I ask have you used other alternatives on your Mac other than the Neo office alternative?

Also, I feel there might be a bug with some of its functionality(freezing) on Window OS, does this also happen on your Mac?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The best answer to your question, because OOo is free, is to try it for yourself. Each computer setup is different and only you can answer whether or not it works well in your environment. I've never really had any freezing issues with OOo but it could very well be because of the way I use (or don't use) certain features. Give it a try and report back if you have any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
NeoOffice is slightly behind OpenOffice in development, but it is rock solid stable. I have been using for 4 years and not once has it crashed. OpenOffice crashes occasionally.

I exchange documents and spreadsheets with Windows users with MS Office, and they cannot tell the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
I was using NeoOffice but the most recent update mucked up something and now files aren't saving....so I switched to OO and it's working fine. I only use it for spreadsheets. I use Pages and Keynote for docs and slides, respectively, and they are great.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all for the feedbacks...!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.