G4 won't start

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've got a problem with my Power Mac, G4 DP 867 Mirror Door.

It was running fine until I tried to hook up a Linksys PSUS4 print server to it.
Yeah I know, I'll never buy a Linksys thing again.
Anyway when I pugged it in the screen started flickering for a bit and then the whole thing just shut down. I unplugged the PSUS4 and tried to turn the Mac on again but nothing happened. The startup button flahed briefly but everything else was just dead. I've tried resetting the PRAM but it doesn't seem to have done anything as the Mac stays dead.

Now here's the thing. If I take out the battery and try to turn it on it fires up okay and everything seems to be running just fine. The clock goes back to around 1970 as it would with no battery. I've had it running for about half an hour and haven't noticed anything strange. When I start up I get the startup chime which I had turned off previously so maybe resetting the PRAM did work.

What I don't understand is why the machine will not start up with a battery and will start without a battery. The battery itself shows 3.6v and is okay.
Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum.
resetting the PRAM but
First, how did u go about that?

OP
F
Reaction score
I followed the instructions on the Apple support site

Resetting Cuda/PMU on Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3

I unplugged everything, pressed the PMU button inside the machine and waited a while then reconnected the mains, monitor and keyboard leads and turned it on again. The battery was in when I did this.

I did the reset first thing this morning before I tried to turn the machine on.

Actually thinking about it again, is that a different thing to starting up holding down command, option, P & R?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My understanding is that the command option P R is the more modern version of what u did with the PMU button.
So with regard to our last question - i have no idea, but will try and remember the battery trick, just in case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.