I Want to be a Apple Developer!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I want to Help the Mac Community as much as flippen possible! But for me to do this i need to know how to Program... So i got 3 Books. C++, C and Objective-C. The Objective-C Books teaches how to program it after you learn C. Which Language should i learn. How Should i Learn it? Please assist, Give me your Advice All knowing Apple Dev Gurus!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
First up you need to get yourself familiar with algorithms and data structures - for that it doesn't really matter what language you use - C or Java would be suitable.

You might think using Java to start with is nonsense as you want to continue to Objective-C, however, it is simple to use and has great object-oriented capabilities.

Of course it's your call, you can use C to start with - as long as you get familiar with data structures, input/output, coditionals, loops and what I like to call "bugging the user" ;) - use EXAMPLES!

When you get familiar with C-like syntax you can move onto more complex structures, objects, composites, frameworks -- you are bound to come across advanced topics everywhere

Personally I started with Java, then went to C where some people have a hard time with pointers (!! very important for C itself, very powerful), then some Bash scripts and never really got to working with Objective-C ... bummer :D

Most important - use examples and write your own code, don't just read code, write it!

And have fun :)

OP
N
Reaction score
First up you need to get yourself familiar with algorithms and data structures - for that it doesn't really matter what language you use - C or Java would be suitable.

You might think using Java to start with is nonsense as you want to continue to Objective-C, however, it is simple to use and has great object-oriented capabilities.

Of course it's your call, you can use C to start with - as long as you get familiar with data structures, input/output, coditionals, loops and what I like to call "bugging the user" ;) - use EXAMPLES!

When you get familiar with C-like syntax you can move onto more complex structures, objects, composites, frameworks -- you are bound to come across advanced topics everywhere

Personally I started with Java, then went to C where some people have a hard time with pointers (!! very important for C itself, very powerful), then some Bash scripts and never really got to working with Objective-C ... bummer :D

Most important - use examples and write your own code, don't just read code, write it!

And have fun :)

Thanks! Ill Great started Right away! And Thank you so much for the overview... makes life a Little easier for me :D. And as Repayment ill Teach you Objective-C when i start Learning it :D k?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I learnt in this order, something simple to start I did PHP and Visual Basic, then did Java, then moved on to command line C++ before learning openGL and getting graphical stuff.

I wouldn't recommend leaning C first, start simpler. If you learn PHP and did some web programming you will be able to learn C++ alot quicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Why in the world would you recommend PHP and VisualBasic(!!!) to some1 who wants to learn Objective-C in the future? Learning C-like syntax is a priority and C itself is really not that hard to get a grasp on (unless all you want to argue with are pointers). Sure, algorithm structures will be the same, if not identical, but why not write it in C to begin with ... AND have the option to look into objects, either in C++ or directly in Objective-C much sooner.

Ok I may have never worked with PHP so you might as well laugh at me, but that's what kids in pre-school use. ;) I have respect for many of my friends working in PHP and believe them to be several levels above my knowledge, I just don't agree PHP is the way to take when my main interest is to get familiar with C and Mac development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I was just saying the order I learnt thing, I wouldn't recommend visual basic but when I was 12/13 it was a good start.

PHP is really easy to learn so its a good start if you have no programming experience. Once you have a basic understanding about how everything works then you can move on to something more complex like C. You can even learn classes etc in PHP and when you get to learning C things are going to be even easier.

But if you have to learn classes along with things like pointers it makes things much harder.

Start with a simple language, and progress from there. Don't jump in at the deep end....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Well there you go, two different people, two different opinions :) isn't life great? :D

Reaction score
I agree with our friend who says that algorithms and data structures are programming-language- independent. But I hope beginning programmers would learn C, C++, and Objective C after they learn another, much higher-level programming language. The much higher-level languages will help you focus mostly on the problem you're trying to solve. C and many C-like languages tend to direct, maybe too much, attention to minute, language-specific details that you can ignore in many other programming languages.

I've read many programming books that tell you a lot about how to use a programming language and probably too little about how to design an algorithm. That's why I recommend How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing by Matthias Felleisen, Robert Bruce Findler, Matthew Flatt, and Shiram Krishnamurthi. The online edition should be at How to Design Programs.

The authors teach the Scheme dialect of Lisp, which won't look much like C, C++, or Objective-C. But you can download Dr. Scheme, an integrated development environment that the book's authors invented for the book's readers. Dr. Scheme, or PLT Scheme, is free software that runs on Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.