• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to download movies from AOL Video?

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a short little video from cutting up a film (it's public domain and not on DVD) that's on AOL Video. I can't find it anywhere else.

The Lottery EBEC 1969 - AOL Video

I've tried a bunch of sites that do it online, but they don't work. I've found PC programs that might do it, but they're all .exe programs. Any idea how to do it on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, it looks like you could download it just like you download a youtube video - go to the video, make sure the entire video caches (the black play line is completely gray - or just go ahead and watch the video until the end), then open activity monitor (opt+cmd+a), look for the entry that's huge (that particular video is around 74 megs), then double click it, and it should start downloading to your downloads folder. From there, you can use a free tool like mpegstreamclip ( Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X ) to convert it from flv to mp4, .mov or whatever (you will need perian installed if you don't have it tho - Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components )

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried both methods. The iTunesDownloader downloaded it in like, half a second, then it didn't play. And opt+cmd+a didn't bring up Activity Monitor. I opened AM through Utilities and it didn't show in the list, it just showed all the active programs, not the individual things going on in the program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I misspoke - it's not the Activity Monitor - that won't tell you anything - it's the Activity Window - you press Cmd+Opt+A while in Safari (or, while in Safari, go to Window->Activity) That's where the list is.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ugh. I tried to view the video and only the first few minutes work. Then it goes black, stalls, and closes.

I tried to download it again using that method, and it just... doesn't. Clicking it in the activity viewer opens another window, which jitters like it's doing something, then doesn't. I tried deleting the video file and starting over and it does this again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If clicking in the activity viewer is opening another browser window it's because the video wasn't fully downloaded - it's one of those weird things - which is why I had mentioned you had to wait until the full video was cached in the viewer until you could go to the activity window to attempt to download it.

I'll try to download the video when I'm at work (and have more bandwidth to play with) and see if the same thing happens to me (only a few minutes work)

**** UPDATE:
I tested downloading the video the way I suggested (navigate to the page, make sure the entire video caches, open activity viewer, double click so it downloads) and it played perfectly for me off my computer. The file size is: 78,310,234 bytes, if your file is smaller it won't work all the way through. Also I played it back in VLC (I prefer VLC for flv playback). I'm also able to transcode it using mpegstreamclip (as long as perian is installed) without a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.