Audience/Comedian Recording

Reaction score
This isn't so much a mac question but an audio question, perhaps someone here can help me with. I am a comedian and I'd like to find the best way to record not only my voice but the audience laughter as well. Is there a way to connect the microphone I'm using directly into the camera and the sound board simultaneously? and should I just use a multi directional mic and mount it to my camcorder for the audience sound? Any suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks.

-andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
First of all, what camera are you speaking of ? Need more info. As far as recording what you're asking to, you'll need a pair of binaural mic's. Look here:

USB Microphone, Stereo Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more!

Google binaural microphone's for more info on how they work. BTW... No one does a better Walken than Jay Mohr. Just sayin'...

Doug

OP
A
Reaction score
haha yes i know, jay mohr is the best walken impersonator...

sorry, forgot to mention I am using the canon vixia hf s10

OP
A
Reaction score
i read about these mics and i still dont get how this would benefit me... how will a mic in my ears pick up audience sound? what do i plug the binaurials into, a digital recorder? then do i sync the audio with video later? I'm confused :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, I didn't have the info on your camera previously so I could not give you the exact info. But basically the idea is that the mic would obviously hook up to a portable recording tool which would be somewhere on your person. The mics aren't actually IN your ear drum, they're simply fastened there. The mic's are on the outside.

And if you had Google'd that type of mic for info on it, you'd understand how they work. I'm sorry but you can do your own legwork on that one. As for hooking everything up to the soundboard, that's also something you should discuss with the technicians. If you keep the camera in your pocket with the mic hooked up to them (also presumably with an extra battery back up pack for extended life of your recording device) then it might be all you'll need. You can then just extract the data from the camara afterwards.

Wearing mics as such (specifically those mics) will glean you a 360 degree audio perspective and you'll be able to isolate which ever part of the audio you wish to. I'm not an audio tech per say.. I'm only a musician and have done some recordings with said types of mics.. so it's better that you discuss the technical details with the gents/gals whom are prepping the board for your shows. I'm sure they'll work with you if you approach them in a nice way and it's always good to have sound engineers as friends !

Doug

OP
A
Reaction score
what do i use to record though? do i hook them up to a separate digital recorder or something and then add the audio later ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.