Time Capsule / x box 360 live

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
Hi,

My son recently got an x box and we initially set up via an ethernet cable straight from the internet modem broadband which has one e/n outlet hence. to do this I disconnected the e/n cable from the modem which extended into my time capsule (TC). I have a second slave TC connected wirelessly to the first TC (the first usually having the e/n cable). Both TC's are the 1TB model one purchased six months ago which apparently had a faster signal then the other. I dont know if the main tc is the later model.

Then I purchased a Dlink DES-1005D 10/100 Mbpse/n hub and replugged the unit connecting via e/n the tc to the hub and another e/n cable to the modem and another e/n cable to the xbox. Immediately my son comments that his system is slowed revert to e/n cable from xbox straight into modem and it fine again. go back to store and speak to another chap that reckons that the unit i have is not fast enough and I have to spend more $$$ for another hub and it will be fine (wished the first bloke had told me this). this i do not want to do as I am tired of being off the net whilst the kids play xbox, also the cable across the hallway, also dont want to crawl under the house to run the cable.

I realise that if I am to get this to work I have to buy an XBox wireless adaptor and I am happy to do this.

MY CONCERN IS WILL XBOX LIVE BE SLOWED WITH wireless adaptor to wireless TC. That is, will it appear on the television the same as with the e/n cable??

Cheers
Maxy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There is no reason why the dlink you bought - by itself - should slow down the xbox - as far as networking is concerned. Secondly - the wireless adapter for the xbox is only 802.11b/g - which means 54mbps in the best of conditions - whereas the dlink is 100mbps. So it could be - with everything else attached, you are running network programs which bog down the xbox.

Short answer is - I would doubt that running wireless would speed anything up.

Long answer (actually more questions) - what do you have running when all computers are connected? What is your bandwidth out and in? You can check here
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
What exactly does your son mean by slow?
He can try these steps
You experience slow performance playing on Xbox LIVE

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ivan,

thanks for the reply.

with the time capsule speeds clocked were download .89 Mb/s , upload .85 Mb/s (3 feet )

then without the time capsule and using the ethernet cable - download 32.23 Mb/s
and upload 1.13 M/b/s & ping 7ms

those figures - do they suggest that my TC is seriously slow?

xbox have a new (more expensive twin antenna) wireless adaptor that carries the n signal.

cheers
Maxy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if there is a new wireless N adapter - if your time capsule is the bottleneck - you won't see better speeds - as you will be attaching wirelessly to the time capsule. Is the capital M what the speedtest reports? I ask because if you are getting .89 Megabyte - that is close to actual 10 Megabit - meaning it seems like your xbox is connecting at 10 megabit instead of 100 megabit. Usually switches have different colors to differentiate what speed is connected. For example my dlink is orange for 100m and green for 1000m. If it is sensing 10m only - maybe a wireless adapter will work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

the speeds relate to the speed of the internet using TC wireless and then ethernet cable.

I havent done a speed test on the x box (and do not know how to.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I am confused then.

You are saying that the .89 is through wireless through the TC?

the 33 is through Ethernet directly connected to the modem?

What happens if you connect to the gigabit ethernet of the TC, turn off your airport then try the speedtest?

What happens when you connect the dlink to the TC then connect to ethernet to the dlink?

If the .89 is wireless then it sounds like you are connecting with 802.11b - in which case let me be the first to welcome you to 1999.

Anyway if you could clear that up it may help the debug - pretty much 100mb ethernet or higher, 802.11g or higher will be able to use all your modem bandwidth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.