How do you deal with it?

Reaction score
First off, some history. This is my very first Mac. A friend of mine wanted some help with his craptop, so he brought it over and I used my computer to look up a few things for him.

Nothing odd so far. Then at work he's mentions the fact that I own an iMac and all of a sudden, I'm "Pretentious" and a "Tech snob". I didn't even say anything about how ****** the XP boxes are at work or why 2 people on my crew had to reformat due to viruses or any easy quip like that.

I was pretty much minding my own biz and now I'm "One of those mac people."

I can't imagine how bad it's going to be when I get an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I just ignore it. It's simple as that, if I ever get one of those people to use a Mac, I will do everything in my power to show them how awesome they are.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
In one ear and out the other. Or selective hearing however you want to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Just tell him, "I might be pretentious, but at least I don't have to get anyone to help me get my Mac working."

Reaction score
They act like that because they know the macs the better product and probably just can't afford it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Jealousy can be ugly, and it does nothing but make both its object and subject miserable. That's not fair to you, of course, but I just try to ignore it myself. The only other options would just make it worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
Jealousy, lack of understanding and possibly stupidity... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Hehe I can so relate to this with my guys at work. I have to put up with the same kind of treatment. Selective hearing is good to have.

I don't have to deal with it, because I don't care. If I want to use a Mac, and others wont. Why should I even bother? Its their loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I just sit back happy in the knowledge that I don't have to fight my computer to do what I want it to. TBH its properly just jealously :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I had the same thing happen, but I'm a techie with 10 years of field experience so my reasons for using aMac are somewhat different. I like the unix like OS and the fact I can use mainstream apps.

Having said that,my brother is a doctor and he has a fellow resident who is into Linux. Well this dude said that once I get over the initial "Apple glee"I'll get frustrated.
Which I don't understand. What am I going to get frustrated about?
I hate to say it, but OSX is superior to Linux in every detail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram
Yeah, I have to agree with you Justin, I used to use Linux on a regular basis from way back in the Red Hat 5 days now I hardly ever use it. OS X just does everything I need and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I had the same thing happen, but I'm a techie with 10 years of field experience so my reasons for using aMac are somewhat different. I like the unix like OS and the fact I can use mainstream apps.

Having said that,my brother is a doctor and he has a fellow resident who is into Linux. Well this dude said that once I get over the initial "Apple glee"I'll get frustrated.
Which I don't understand. What am I going to get frustrated about?
I hate to say it, but OSX is superior to Linux in every detail.

It's a decent replacement for OS X if you've got non-apple hardware, I love Ubuntu. I'm using it right now. But you're 100% correct. Apple uses an open source base and builds spires upon its foundation.

Snow Leopard > other *nix systems> legacy OS that I only use to let in air.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I get occasional snide comments about my Macbook Pro at work (especially given that I work in IT in a heavily Microsoft-centric shop). But more often than not, it leads into a conversation as to why I'm using it. And quite a few people have ended up buying a Mac after hearing me extol its virtues as a laptop (I don't advocate Macs as desktops).

For those that act like idiots and make ignorant comments, I usually don't give them the time of day. It's like politics or religion with these people - you're not going to change their ideals with reason. Whenever I feel compelled to respond, I usually just remind myself of the old adage... "never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
People are morons. They bash an OS they've never used, and yet they call us "elitists" or "snobs". It's really rather amusing, especially having been one of those morons myself in the past. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I get occasional snide comments about my Macbook Pro at work (especially given that I work in IT in a heavily Microsoft-centric shop). But more often than not, it leads into a conversation as to why I'm using it. And quite a few people have ended up buying a Mac after hearing me extol its virtues as a laptop (I don't advocate Macs as desktops).

For those that act like idiots and make ignorant comments, I usually don't give them the time of day. It's like politics or religion with these people - you're not going to change their ideals with reason. Whenever I feel compelled to respond, I usually just remind myself of the old adage... "never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." :D

You don't advocate desktop macs? You must really hate having server grade chips in your towers... plus the iMacs smoke any other consumer machine out there (preconfigured like 98% of people buy, leaving the 2% nerds to build their own rigs).

I'd take a Mac Pro over anything any day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.