BootCamp WinXP - Sound works but sounds terrible

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

I find lots of people talking about having no sound on their windows but I figured out how to get my sound back.
Problem is that it sounds like an old radio or cellphone, very tinny... like someone talking into a coke can...

I have had no success clearing this up and I am a little frustrated to have spent 1600 on a computer that I am forced to debug.

Anyone else had/resolved this problem?

Thanks in advance!
-SeFu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

I find lots of people talking about having no sound on their windows but I figured out how to get my sound back.
Problem is that it sounds like an old radio or cellphone, very tinny... like someone talking into a coke can...

I have had no success clearing this up and I am a little frustrated to have spent 1600 on a computer that I am forced to debug.

Anyone else had/resolved this problem?

The problem isn't your computer… it's your OS (Windows). So how did you get your sound back in the first place? What Mac model do you have? What version of Windows? (EDIT: Nevermind… I see it's WinXP in the title) Etc etc… details details…

OP
S
Reaction score
yea that would help right?
Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

new iMac 27" second from the top, the model just below the quad core.

WinXP
BootCamp 3.0

Apparently the problem with having no sound was the fact that there were two HD Audio components (Cerrus or something like that, and ATI)
I disabled the ATI one and got my sound back...

But thats when I noticed the sound was terrible.

I tried reinstalling the drivers from the Mac disk and I also tried using the RealTek drivers from their site, no dice.
Apparently everyone is having the same problem, I was hoping to fall on someone who actually figured it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmm. According to this discussion, simply disabling the ATI HD rear audio should have worked. Is this exactly what you did? What does the Device Manager show? You may want to check for an updated driver for the Cirrus Logic HD (if that's what is still enabled). Also… what output is selected for the sound output (line out vs internal speaker vs digital out, for ex)? I'm not sure what options you should have, or where it is to check for it in Windows (been a while since I've really messed with Windows). My chief concern offhand is that it sounds bad because it's using the "internal speaker", which on a typical desktop computer (like my Mac Pro) is a tiny little one for startup chimes, error beeps, and the like. I'm assuming the iMac has that in addition to the built-in higher quality ones you'd normally want to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.