Scared to resize partition!

Reaction score
Hi guys! I guess I unintentionally got everyone thinking I /solved my old thread, so I'll ask a little more directly this time.

Here are my internal partitions:
5345435345435354.png

I want to shrink the Mac partition by 20 GB and increase the Windows partition to fill the gap. How do I do this without having to destroy the data on either partition? (in other words, I want to nondestructively resize.)

Can I just shrink the Mac partition by 20 GB with Disk Utility off of an install disk? Or will it wipe that partition? (obviously I'd be scared to just try)

OP
bigfefan
Reaction score
Umm yeah I understand that nondestructively resizing isn't always safe so I'm going to make a time machine backup of the mac partition before I do anything.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have an external drive, also make a clone backup of the entire hard drive - (SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner). Use WinClone (free) to make a backup of your Windows partition. Do all that first before attempting any moving of partitions.

Also, instead of using Disk Utility you might want to buy a copy of Camp Tune from Paragon software. Camp Tune can non destructively re-size your Boot Camp partition. Of course Disk Utility is free, however.

The best solution is a larger hard drive. ;D

Regards.

OP
bigfefan
Reaction score
If you have an external drive, also make a clone backup of the entire hard drive - (SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner). Use WinClone (free) to make a backup of your Windows partition. Do all that first before attempting any moving of partitions.

Also, instead of using Disk Utility you might want to buy a copy of Camp Tune from Paragon software. Camp Tune can non destructively re-size your Boot Camp partition. Of course Disk Utility is free, however.

The best solution is a larger hard drive. ;D

Regards.

um um um um why should I make a clone disk of the whole thing??? and I don't wanna buy anything so will anything on here work?
Extend or Resize Boot Camp Partition - Mac Guides

But will Disk Utility do what I want it to do? That's all I really want to know. I can worry about WinClone later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk Utility can resize your Mac OS X partition. You'll still need to resize the Boot Camp partition. Use WinClone, it's free. Make sure you read the instructions for using WinClone and understand all the steps before undertaking the task.

The Mac Guides list several different ways. You'll notice that they also recommend Camp Tune from Paragon.

Regards.

OP
bigfefan
Reaction score
Disk Utility can resize your Mac OS X partition. You'll still need to resize the Boot Camp partition. Use WinClone, it's free. Make sure you read the instructions for using WinClone and understand all the steps before undertaking the task.

The Mac Guides list several different ways. You'll notice that they also recommend Camp Tune from Paragon.

Regards.

okayokayokay on everyone's insistence, I'll obtain (*schmoll*) Camptune.
O:)O:)O:)O:)O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.