Death of a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Yeah. I won't go into details but my 2008 MBP 15.4" has been destroyed. Compltely my fault I sold it for parts on eBay and managed to save the hard drive. I ordered a refurb for $1,500 and it arrived at the house yesterday.
After all these years of being careful with my equipment, I finally did it to myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Go on! I think we are all keen to know how you managed it.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
12oz of Sprite.
Machine was turned on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll bet that was the most expensive can of Sprite you ever drank (or should I say spilled?). You have my sympathy. But this time, how about buying yourself a notebook stand and put that new refurbished MBP on it where it'll be somewhat protected from spills?

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
O U C H! Thanks for sharing with us what happened. SO FAR, the only soda damage here has been separate keyboards. The one that really hurt me was my Wired full sized new Apple one.

Anyway glad you were able to replace your machine!

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I'll bet that was the most expensive can of Sprite you ever drank (or should I say spilled?). You have my sympathy. But this time, how about buying yourself a notebook stand and put that new refurbished MBP on it where it'll be somewhat protected from spills?

Regards.

yeah. I bought a keyboard protector and from now on there won't be any drinking in the office.
The best part is after it happened the wireless network went down. I think the machine was shorted out and transmitting junk taking the network offline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I wont even permit myself to have any liquids near my macbook pro, let alone food. I love it too much and spent plenty of money on it.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
O U C H! Thanks for sharing with us what happened. SO FAR, the only soda damage here has been separate keyboards. The one that really hurt me was my Wired full sized new Apple one.

Anyway glad you were able to replace your machine!

Well, I probably shouldn't have. Money will be very tight the next few months.
I'm bidding on a Dell D430 without a HD and OS so I can have adisposable laptop shold I need one.

I wont even permit myself to have any liquids near my macbook pro, let alone food. I love it too much and spent plenty of money on it.

That's going to be my policy.

I'm just so ****** off. I don't understand how it happened. I barely hit the glass, the liquid just jumped out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Drop Ubuntu on that Dell, and it'll almost feel like home when you need a junker. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3
My mom dropped a 32 oz diet soda on my macbook pro a year and a half ago while it was on. Pulled the battery and used a shop vac to get as much liquid out as I could and then let it air dry for a few days. I am typing this on it right now. I think the lack of sugar in diet soda is what saved it. The only issues I have had with my laptop is the super drive acting up occasionally (first noticed a year after the incident) and it won't run off of the battery for longer than 20 min (not surprised, the battery is 3 years old).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram
I don't allow any beverage around my MBP because for one thing if I did spill anything on it it would take removing 10 screws to get the back off just to remove the battery, by then I'm afraid it would be all over. Sorry for your loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400
I'm the same as a lot of folk. I don't eat or drink round my imac. I did around the PC & it was pretty gross. I don't want my Mac ending up like that. I even wash my hands before I use it! lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm the same as a lot of folk. I don't eat or drink round my imac. I did around the PC & it was pretty gross. I don't want my Mac ending up like that. I even wash my hands before I use it! lol

And that's the way it should be. Otherwise your keyboard would be swarming with bacteria.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.