iDVD region freeze

Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a Macbook Pro.

When I try to play movie DVDs, and box comes up requesting me to select my region. When I select a region it freezes and won't play the DVD. I have tried selecting different regions and have used multiple DVDs all to no avail.

The drive reads CDs fine.

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't give us much to go on..... ???? Year - model Mac, version of OS X, and did you buy the machine new or used?

But, here's what may have happened: You've run out of region selections (can only change regions 5 X). Once that happens the DVD player is locked to the last region selected. If the last region selected is not the same as the region code on the DVD you're trying to play, the DVD will refuse to play or freeze.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just use VLC as the default player. It doesn't care about regions (though one or two people have had issues on certain machines).

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry. I have the Mackbook Pro MC118LL/A. I bought it new, and I'm running OS X 10.6.2

I don't think the region locked up. It froze from the first time I tried, and no massage ever came up saying it was locked.

I've tried VLC, but that keeps crashing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Since the machine is new and it appears to be a hardware problem with the drive itself, you may want to contact Apple support by phone (90 days free phone support) or take the machine on in to an Apple store and let the genius bar look at it. Make an appointment first before taking it on in to an Apple store.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.