switcher getting started customization questions

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m hoping you can help with these migration issues. I’m using a macbook pro:
1. how does one change the sound for various functions, such as emptying trash, sent mail, etc.? If an additional software tool is needed, which one is best?
2. if one uses animated mouse pointers in windows, can those also be used in Mac apps? Is there a program that needs to be installed for them to work?
3. is there an app which allows one to control the bass and treble on the mac book pro, outside of itunes?
4. in windows, it is necessary to clean out one’s temporary files and run defrag routines, etc. what’s a good app for that, or is it necessary on the mac?
5. is there a way to tile or cascade one’s open windows? Expose is giving me a bit of a challenge regarding configuring it.
6. is there a recommended reference manual for technical users migrating from windows to mac?
7. what is the best way to change the icons used for folders and files?
8. what are the key combinations for “home” and “end” Those keys are not present on the macbook pro
9. is there an extended clipboard manager you can recommend? Clipmate doesn’t yet run on the mac and Copy/Paste Pro limits the number of items per archive collection, and doesn't allow the collection of images apparently, based on their overview videos.

many thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Without answering all of your questions individually. To be honest...it sounds to me that you are trying to turn your MacBook Pro into a Windows laptop as closely as possible.

If your going to be a "switcher"...then switch. Don't try to turn your MacBook Pro into a Windows computer.

Welcome...and have fun with your MacBook Pro!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
Actually, no, I'm just endeavoring to implement comparable functionality, which is one reason why I requested suggestions for a good reference manual for techies making the switch - so I can learn the ins and outs of OSX in significant detail.

Think of it this way - if you were presently driving a mercedes and decided to buy a lexus, wouldn't you still want air conditioning, cruise control, and power steering, need to know where to find those controls in the new vehicle, and confirm their design would meet your established perceived preferences and needs?

I'm loving the Mac...just need to get on top of the items noted in my first post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Nick,
Actually, no, I'm just endeavoring to implement comparable functionality, which is one reason why I requested suggestions for a good reference manual for techies making the switch - so I can learn the ins and outs of OSX in significant detail.

Think of it this way - if you were presently driving a mercedes and decided to buy a lexus, wouldn't you still want air conditioning, cruise control, and power steering, need to know where to find those controls in the new vehicle, and confirm their design would meet your established perceived preferences and needs?

I'm loving the Mac...just need to get on top of the items noted in my first post.
Actually comparing the Macintosh OS & the Windows OS to a Lexus & a Mercedes is not a good analogy. Some things in the Macintosh OS do work similarly to Windows...and some things don't.

I have been a Macintosh user for 24 years...you are an admitted "switcher" (which is fine, nothing wrong with that). Take it from me...what you think are simply "customization" or "comparable functionality" questions are clearly questions where you are trying to make your Macintosh more "Windows-like". Your questions 5 & 8 just SCREAM former Windows user!;)

As far as analogies...forget about the automobile references. Going from Windows to the Macintosh OS is like relocating to another country with a different language & customs. Not many people in the "Macintosh World" talk about "home & end" keys...and nobody (other than other switchers) use the term "Cascade Windows". Its like moving from the United States to say Saudi Arabia. Some things may be familiar & similar...and other things will be very different...and you just have to go with the flow.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m hoping you can help with these migration issues. I’m using a macbook pro:
1. how does one change the sound for various functions, such as emptying trash, sent mail, etc.? If an additional software tool is needed, which one is best?
2. if one uses animated mouse pointers in windows, can those also be used in Mac apps? Is there a program that needs to be installed for them to work?
3. is there an app which allows one to control the bass and treble on the mac book pro, outside of itunes?
4. in windows, it is necessary to clean out one’s temporary files and run defrag routines, etc. what’s a good app for that, or is it necessary on the mac?
5. is there a way to tile or cascade one’s open windows? Expose is giving me a bit of a challenge regarding configuring it.
6. is there a recommended reference manual for technical users migrating from windows to mac?
7. what is the best way to change the icons used for folders and files?
8. what are the key combinations for “home” and “end” Those keys are not present on the macbook pro
9. is there an extended clipboard manager you can recommend? Clipmate doesn’t yet run on the mac and Copy/Paste Pro limits the number of items per archive collection, and doesn't allow the collection of images apparently, based on their overview videos.

many thanks in advance

1) You'll need third party software for this, of which I know none. Sorry.

2) You can try to find third party software for this as well, but good luck.

3) Again, third party software, and again, good luck.

4) The temporary files are automatically cleared when you run the defragmenter in Windows. On a Mac, it runs a background task called cron which clears temp files and defragments the internal HDD.

5) This thing called Expose (there are ways to do this, the most common is F10 and F11, and F3 on a more modern Mac) exists on a Mac for the same reason that Windows allows you to have multiple windows. It doesn't necessarily cascade or stack the windows to fit, but it does allow you to find the window you need when doing multiple things. There's also Spaces, which is a Leopard and Snow Leopard exclusive. Spaces gives you multiple desktops to expand your work on.

6) There are several- check Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Borders.

7) Check out Apple's Downloads site: Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Icons, Screensavers, etc.

8) Can you be more specific? You can search the internet for key combinations/shortcuts on Mac OS X.

9) Again, you can find third party software. For all answers that require third party software, you can go here: Apple - Downloads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.