Disabling/Deleting Internal Audio Drivers on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello MacForums!

I was wondering how I would go about Disabling or Deleting the internal speaker audio drivers on my MacBook Pro?

Ever since purchasing an external firewire I/O device, I don't have any use for my internal speakers. It would be a great help if anyone knew how to do this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of deleting the drivers (which I don't think you can do anyway) why not just mute the speakers?

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Instead of deleting the drivers (which I don't think you can do anyway) why not just mute the speakers?

Regards.

Well, simply because the system sounds are still coming out of the internal speakers. Also, older mac games default to the internal speakers because they are the system default. I've heard it is possible to get the system sound to change to an external source if the drivers are tampered with or removed. I would prefer to have the system sounds come out of my external speakers if it is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
why not use external speakers and plug them into the macbook pro ?

OP
T
Reaction score
why not use external speakers and plug them into the macbook pro ?

Out of the question.

I use an external audio interface for my studio. The speakers are connected through 1/4 inch jacks from my external I/O. I'm not looking to manually change the cables every time I feel like playing an old game. I'm looking to change the system sound source internally.

OP
T
Reaction score
Alright, so I did some experimentation with moving certain extensions.

I determined that the 'AppleHDA.kext' is the driver for the internal speakers. I was able to remove it from the extensions folder and reboot with no 'serious' issues. While my external interface was showing up as the only audio output option is system preferences, the system sound didn't default to it. Instead, there was no system sound at all.

I have noticed that on other macs, it is possible to change the source for system sounds. On my MacBook Pro, it's a grayed out option. Does anyone know how to unlock or change this preference in terminal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.