MacBook Backlight Issues

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forum,

I have been having some issues for the past few months now where if i tily my screen to certain positions the back light goes off. Just recently it's started going off all the time where i have to close the screen and reopen it for it to come back on, or vigorously tilt the screen back and forth.

I was just wondering what i should do? It seems like it could be an issue regarding a faulty wire of some sort. My model is the Late November 2008 (White), i have no more Apple Care, but i have had hardware replacements for free (including a free battery and whole case replacement due to cracking) out of warranty.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? What is Apple's take on it? What shall i do? :)

Update: It seems to be getting worse, when i move the screen the light flickers really fast.
Update2: Sometimes, if i change the brightness right down then back up it comes back on.

Many thanks for your replies,
aHughez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Sadly, there is nothing you can do, you should take it to Apple to have the screen replaced, or maybe just the wiring.

You're out of warranty? It hasn't even been 2 years since you bought it, how long was your warranty? Only a year?

I guess it varies in different countries, I have standard 2 year warranty without any AppleCare extension

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The problem is probably the inverter to the screen backlight. You can replace it yourself but it is pretty difficult. Check iFixit: The free repair manual for repair guides.

I think Apple should replace it though ... this is not a problem you are responsible for. It's a hardware flaw.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was just wondering what i should do? It seems like it could be an issue regarding a faulty wire of some sort. My model is the Late November 2008 (White), i have no more Apple Care, but i have had hardware replacements for free (including a free battery and whole case replacement due to cracking) out of warranty.

More than likely when the case was replaced the wiring from the inverter to the backlight was incorrectly placed or not secured and is being pinched. That's why moving the case lid up and down has it to come on and off.

I would first take it on back to Apple and explain to them about the previous repair and now the backlight problem which you think is related to that repair. Be polite with them and courteous. Ask to see the manager if need be. There's a chance they will repair it for free. You have nothing to lose by attempting to get them to do the repair. If not.....

You might be able to repair it yourself by following the step by step instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.