Macbook with safari running slow dropping connection

Reaction score
Hello,

Have Macbook running 10.5.8 and when use safari either pages take long to load, upto 20 secs, or the connection is dropped. Sometimes everything works OK. ISP has checked line and have tried a series of routers. Windows laptop works OK. Mac has had archive and reinstall, system config plist renewed, router name changed and nothing appears to work. Genius desk have not been able to help either.
Ideas? If complex in execution please explain simply as relative novice on Mac.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hello,

Have Macbook running 10.5.8 and when use safari either pages take long to load, upto 20 secs, or the connection is dropped. Sometimes everything works OK. ISP has checked line and have tried a series of routers. Windows laptop works OK. Mac has had archive and reinstall, system config plist renewed, router name changed and nothing appears to work. Genius desk have not been able to help either.
Ideas? If complex in execution please explain simply as relative novice on Mac.

Thanks

AirPort (wifi card inside the computer) sounds like it could be going on its way out. Have you tried Network Diagnostics?

Go to:

System Preferences>Network and then click on "Assist Me" and then "Diagnostics". It should lead you through on how to troubleshoot.

Reaction score
here try this first.

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Adding a network location

if that doesn't work then try this.
go into the Macintosh HD>library>preferences>systemconfiguration. take all of the files out of that file and put them into the trash. if you try to move them anywhere else then this will not work. after you get them into the trash restart your computer. when you start back up reconnect to your network. that should take care of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
...edit...

go into the Macintosh HD>library>preferences>systemconfiguration. take all of the files out of that file and put them into the trash. if you try to move them anywhere else then this will not work. after you get them into the trash restart your computer. when you start back up reconnect to your network. that should take care of you.

I tried this and lost all connection after restart.
Had to go into the trash and manually restore the files I'd trashed back into systemconfiguration.

Did I miss out a step? Or should these files automatically replace themselves?

Still learning. Cheers,cb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.