I am trying to empty my trash but can't

Reaction score
I get this message

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

Any ideas gents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, you've tried to empty while holding down the Option key?

Someone will come along with the proper Terminal command soon...

Kill all Trash, with a ~ in there somewhere ??

OP
Bahja
Reaction score

Just tried that and got the same error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I got that same error not 20 mins ago, just restarted the computer and it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
:p

Sometimes even Macs just need a good reboot.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Sure will. ;)

The trash is actually just a folder in your home directory called .Trash. The dot in front hides the folder so that you don't actually see it. Let's try removing files with a bash command (Terminal). Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and execute the following (type each and press enter):
Code:
cd .Trash/
This will move you into the .Trash folder (much like double-clicking on a folder in Finder). Now, execute the following:
Code:
ls
This will list all the files in the folder which should be familiar to you (this is the contents of your Trash). Now, to remove the files, execute the following:
Code:
rm -rf *
This will remove the files in that directory, do it recursively (through all the folders) and will force it if there are permission issues.

You don't need to securely empty the trash unless you always delete sensitive information. It takes much longer and like I just mentioned, is only really needed if you want there to be no chance of recovery.

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
Sure will. ;)

The trash is actually just a folder in your home directory called .Trash. The dot in front hides the folder so that you don't actually see it. Let's try removing files with a bash command (Terminal). Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and execute the following (type each and press enter):
Code:
cd .Trash/
This will move you into the .Trash folder (much like double-clicking on a folder in Finder). Now, execute the following:
Code:
ls
This will list all the files in the folder which should be familiar to you (this is the contents of your Trash). Now, to remove the files, execute the following:
Code:
rm -rf *
This will remove the files in that directory, do it recursively (through all the folders) and will force it if there are permission issues.

You don't need to securely empty the trash unless you always delete sensitive information. It takes much longer and like I just mentioned, is only really needed if you want there to be no chance of recovery.

Thanks a lot mate. But that all went right over my head.

I did get the Terminal Bash to appear in my doc and did click on new command and typed in cd.Trash but nothing happened, i just got a small window up with my name in it

Iam an idiot with computers so sorry :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Copy and paste what I provided. Copy one command, press enter, copy the second, press enter and so on. A window should come up and this is where you should be entering the commands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.