moving "profile"/content from admin to user account

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a question to which I couldn't find an answer. Since I got my MacBook, I log only into my admin account to use it. Basically I've created a normal user account but I've never used it.
Now I've been told it is a bad idea from a security point of view and I would like to start using my user account instead of the admin account. BUT: all my files/settings belong to the admin account of course and I am not keen on starting from scratch with the user account.
Is there a way to move settings/content to the user account? Or a way to give the admin status to my current user account so that the admin account becomes a user account and the user account the admin account?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Yours,
marttram

C

chas_m

I've got a question to which I couldn't find an answer. Since I got my MacBook, I log only into my admin account to use it. Basically I've created a normal user account but I've never used it.
Now I've been told it is a bad idea from a security point of view and I would like to start using my user account instead of the admin account.

This is incorrect. You have been mislead/misinformed by Widows sheeple who think their insecure world is similar to the Mac's.

Apple designed and intended that the primary user of the computer be an admin, and use an admin account. Please ignore this hogwash and continue using your admin account as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
It can be handy to have a second pristine Admin account available for testing/troubleshooting.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Even while in your admin account, you will be required to input your password with any software you install that makes modifications to system files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.