Buy/Sell/Trade forum posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
how many posts are needed before i can sell something?

why can't i start a new thread on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum? how many posts do i need. i've seen members with only one post to there name on there so what's the deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The b/s/t forum is for established members who are active parts of the community. You have to meet a few different criteria, not just post count.

And please stop trying to artificially bolster your count by creating lots of threads.

OP
B
Reaction score
how can you be an active part of the community with one post and then be allowed to sell items on this forum?

i don't want to call anyone out, but i did see (and i remember the member's name) someone in the B/S/T forum with one post and i'm pretty sure that one post was the one in the B/S/T. it didn't seem quite significant in order for that particular member to become an active part of the community. in fact, it was just an apple product for sale, nothing more.

what constitutes an active part of the community? i really would like to know.

how or who judges a member's standing in the community in order to be allowed to sell some stuff?

what are the criteria?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
how can you be an active part of the community with one post and then be allowed to sell items on this forum?

You can't. And if I find someone who co-opts a valid thread to peddle their stuff, that will result in a ban for spamming and thwarting the intent of the B/S/T forum restrictions.

i don't want to call anyone out, but i did see (and i remember the member's name) someone in the B/S/T forum with one post and i'm pretty sure that one post was the one in the B/S/T. it didn't seem quite significant in order for that particular member to become an active part of the community. in fact, it was just an apple product for sale, nothing more.

Report the post and we will deal with it accordingly.

what constitutes an active part of the community? i really would like to know.

Someone who has been here for awhile, gets involved and contributes to the forum.

how or who judges a member's standing in the community in order to be allowed to sell some stuff?

There are criteria that are implemented by the forum software.

what are the criteria?

They are unpublished, lest we encourage people dropping junk posts.

Look, here's the deal - no one wants to buy expensive gear from someone who has little or no standing in the forum. We've had a lot of scammers taking advantage of our members, particularly since just about every other major Mac forum has implemented similar rules.

So, if you want to get involved in the forums, great. Give it some time, contribute some quality posts and just know that eventually you'll be able to access it. If you're just here to peddle your crap or scam somebody, you've come to the wrong place. We are not a marketplace - this is a community discussion board that just happens to prove a facility for our established members to trade goods. If what you want is a marketplace, check out eBay or Craigslist.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and for the information, it really clarified things for me. having "unpublished" rules or requirements to accrue privileges as a member is something new and unfamiliar based on experiences i've had with other internet community forums. it is a bit unusual as it raises skepticism in how a member is judged with exclusivity. i understand the need to try and thwart scams, but risk will always be a part of the equation no matter the measures taken to lower risk. ultimately, i believe responsibility lies between the buyer and seller when conducting an internet transaction no matter what the environment (ebay, craigslist, etc.).

thanks,
bnf

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks for the replies and for the information, it really clarified things for me. having "unpublished" rules or requirements to accrue privileges as a member is something new and unfamiliar based on experiences i've had with other internet community forums.

It's the norm for the major Mac forums I've seen. And those that do state specific guidelines are usually overrun with junk posts to make enough to thwart the intent of the restrictions.

it is a bit unusual as it raises skepticism in how a member is judged with exclusivity. i understand the need to try and thwart scams, but risk will always be a part of the equation no matter the measures taken to lower risk. ultimately, i believe responsibility lies between the buyer and seller when conducting an internet transaction no matter what the environment (ebay, craigslist, etc.).

thanks,
bnf

Sure it does, but again, you are treating a discussion forum as though it is a marketplace. It is not - plain and simple. This is primarily a place to discuss Mac and Apple-related topics. If that's not what you're here for, then you're in the wrong place.

As I said before, we have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum to allow our actual community members to trade goods. It's not supposed to be a fee-free venue for sellers to peddle their wares. It's just that simple.

Your attempts to paint this forum as one that is exclusionary are completely transparent and false. Anyone is welcome to join in the community here and use this venue as it was intended. Just as with any other forum ever made, we have rules and systematic measures to deter undesirable behavior - and that's exactly why these restrictions are in place.

I think enough has been said on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.