2006 MBP CPU Temps

Reaction score
Hey all-

So I have a 2006 MBP CoreDuo 2Ghz with a soon-to-be-dead video card. I know the video card is dying because as I put a load on it (as indicated by a rise in GPU temp) once it hovers around 160F for a while strange video artifacts start to pop up including weird lines, flickers, etc. Eventually, the computer will freeze, requiring a restart. Once restarted, everything seems to be kosher. That being said, the video card is not the issue that is concerning me. Obviously, I need a new computer and will be replacing it sometime in the next few months. Nevertheless, crippled or not, I need this thing to limp along until then.

Here's my issue: I just got me a brand spanking new ipad, and (this is my only complaint thus far) since the stupid thing lacks support for 99% of video codecs, I am using Air Video to stream to my Ipad, and with great success. While the playback is great, I was using it today and noticed IStat was reporting a CPU temp of 205F in the midst of live conversion. Now, my GPU is resting comfortably around 140F, but man...that CPU temp seems scorching. My question is A) Is this a reasonable temp for the computer to run at, and if so, how long can I expect it to maintain this temp before it melts? B) If this is absurdly hot, will continuing to use it hasten the demise of my beloved old friend, and is there anything I can do to bring it down? As I said before, only the GPU is dying; I've had no indication of any other problems with the rest of the system.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I should note that the computer has no known heat issues, and when doing intensive stuff like this, I crank my fans up to 6K RPM using SMC fancontrol. It should also be mentioned that I am very careful to make sure the computer is elevated, and guaranteed adequate airflow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.