MBP MS-DOS(FAT) not recognized in Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a SanDisk 32 GB Flash, and I formatted it into MS-DOS (FAT) using MBP Disk utility (Snow Leopard OS). The problem is, when I was trying to access the Flash on my sister's new Sony with Windows 7 OS, it said "format unrecognized" and asks me to format...

is there a way I can read/write that Flash card on MBP snow leopard and Windows 7?

also be able to use the same format with PS3 & Home Theater

Thanks in Advance Guys ;D

OP
H
Reaction score
Was this a noob question or was it a tough question to answer???

Please drop me some hints if you have answers? Sharing is GOD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a NOOB question nor is it hard to answer. :)

What happened is you used Disk Utility to format a flash drive to FAT-32 which is not recommended. Why? Because Disk Utility will create two partitions on the flash drive - unfortunately the first one is an EFI small 200 MB partition that Windows doesn't like.

What you need to do is remove both partitions on that flash drive and then use Disk Manager from Windows to do the formatting. Removing the partitions is not going to be easy because Windows will not do it from Disk Manager nor can you do it from Disk Utility because the same problem will occur.

Here's how you can clean that drive and start over: Insert the drive into a Windows machine. Open up a command prompt from Windows and use the "diskpart" command. Follow these instructions.

Use caution! Make absolute certain that the disk you've chosen is the flash drive and not any of the Windows partitions!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.