Applecare (I've head good and bad) vs. SquareTrade (sounds too good to be true)...

Reaction score
Hey guys I can finally say that by fall 2010 I will be the proud owner of a macbook pro 15" base model...excited couldn't begin to explain how I feel...but I have a slight problem.

I'd really like to protect my investment, especially after my ps3 breaking I think I should start putting some more stock in warranty's despite the fact that I may not use it...anyway.

I was looking a my options and I saw that they sell the macbook pro's on there which is great but in the related products I saw two options for a warranty.

Apple care which I've head mixed reviews on, I guess apple can be stingy with what they consider to be apart of this warranty. And I've also seen something called SquareTrade...the reviews are mostly positive, actually almost all of them are but it scares me b/cuz it's not apple.

I've searched the forums and I've seen what people think about applecare but not a lot on squaretrade. SquareTrade is $400 and it'll cover accidental spills & the other things which is a step above Applecare.

But Applecare is from apple so that's why I feel the safest going with that but I did want to pose the question...Have you guys had experience with Squarespace good or bad? Is Applecare really worth the money what are you experiences good or bad? Is there something else that I should be looking at, I just want to protect this thing. I'm a college student and I take really good care of my things but just in case...

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If you are clumsy, sure, go ahead with ST and have peace of mind that you paid 400 dollars to fix a problem cause by your clumsyness…which could have been avoided for free. IMHO, the most reliable warranties are those that are to the point and cover defect..i.e…apple care. All the little extra things they throw in a warranty to jack the price up is TOTALY not worth it imo. It's like buying a car and paying 5000 extra for a warranty against scratches and tire punctures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If you are clumsy, sure, go ahead with ST and have peace of mind that you paid 400 dollars to fix a problem cause by your clumsyness…which could have been avoided for free. IMHO, the most reliable warranties are those that are to the point and cover defect..i.e…apple care. All the little extra things they throw in a warranty to jack the price up is TOTALY not worth it imo. It's like buying a car and paying 5000 extra for a warranty against scratches and tire punctures.

I find that to be a poor analogy and comparison with what has been presented here. If SquareTrade is going to offer a total replacement of the Logic board when Mr. Clumsy spills soda or orange juice all over his keyboard, then I'd say it's well worth the money. A scratch, ding or dent on a car isn't going to make the car useless. You can still drive it.

My only advice is to make sure that SquareTrade is totally legit and has honored their warranty service claims in the past. And as has been said, there aren't many reviews out there to confirm. An ex co worker friend of mine told me about a company that he was purchasing theft and damage insurance from for his MacBooks, but can't remember the name. I also recall him saying that they actually worked for him on a couple of occasions.

The bottom line is, if buying said insurance/warranty gives YOU peace of mind, then don't worry about buying Apple Care exclusively.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
square trade is awesome. no worries there

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.