Setting up a group email in Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
How can I set up a "Group" email I could use to send the same email to the same group of people, with several addressees? TIA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
You use your Address Book.
Once in your Address Book look at the bottom left of your window under the "Group Section" and touch the Plus Sign. This will allow you to create a new Group.
You can then begin to "populate" your Group with any number of your individual contacts to create your new Group.
Now you are ready to create your email.
Under the "To" section of your email, just begin typing your Group Name and you will see it pop up. Choose the Group name as your "receipient" of your email.

Have Fun
DavidH

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where do I type in the emails of recipients for the group?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Where do I type in the emails of recipients for the group?

#1 - How to add a contact to your new group

#2 - New contact. Where to enter e-mail.

#3 - Up/down arrows to select what type of e-mail address. i.e. work, home, whatever....

groupemail.jpg

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Done! Thanks to all. Have a great weekend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Another way to do the same - in File menu select New Group and name it eg. Trial.
Click and open 'All Contacts' then just drag anyone in your address book into that group. They will still list under All Contacts but will show under 'Trial' as well. Make another group eg 'smlTrial' and drag more in there, new ones and some that are already in 'Trial'.
When it comes to sending email, then in any of 'To CC BCC fields just type tr hit comma then type sm hit comma and all address of the group/s will be in the field/s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
When it comes to sending email, then in any of 'To CC BCC fields just type tr hit comma then type sm hit comma and all address of the group/s will be in the field/s.
Alternatively, you can also add groups to groups.
For instance, you can add Trial to smlTrial (just drag the group card for Trial into smlTrial, like you did with address cards). Then, when selecting smlTrial in Mail, not only the addresses in smlTrial will be selected, but also the ones in the Trial group.
This single feature makes Mail/Address book much better than MS Outlook, imo.

Reaction score
but how to transfer across from Outlook?

I have moved over to Mac from PC, which I was using MS outlook. I have a number of distribution lists on Outlook (equivalent to Groups in iMail). However, although I can transfer all my contacts over from Outlook, I can't find any way to bring across the Distribution Lists.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Check this out - it may do what u want.

Reaction score
When I create a Group for Distribution purposes, I seem to have the following problems.

1) a contact can only be in one group ?

2) if I delete the group it deletes all the contacts in that group from my master list.

What am I doing wrong ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.