iweb - speed and half loading pages

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm abit new to all this website design but i managed to knock a website together in iweb and hosting it with znet
www.homesinthecity.in

I couldn't get the navigation bar to work when I uploaded it 'published to ftp' (even though it worked when i published to folder) so I deleted it from my pages and just did a text version. Also the blog widget didn't work so i 'faked' the pages and manually made them all...

That aside I have a number of problems
i) some of the pages do not load fully specifically:
HOMES IN THE CITY
HOMES IN THE CITY

ii) the site is agonisingly slow - all the images are 72dpi so i don't understand where i am going wrong

Can anyone give me advise on what to do - I remade the entire site from scratch twice over hoping to solve the above problems - but no luck,,,

Peace

prashant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Some thoughts...

I noticed that in the first 'HOMES IN THE CITY' link that there was a minus sign in the link. I know that some special characters can interfere. I think those names are derived from your page names within iWeb. (its been a while) I would avoid special characters in names of pages and resources such as pictures.

This is stating the obvious; If the site works locally in your folder, then it should work when you FTP it to a remote site. Perhaps one thing to note is which folder on the remote site you are uploading it to. Most hosts have you place your top level pages in a folder named www or public_html.

I'm not sure if there are any limits on the blogging capabilities.

iWeb produces bloat sites, so that is why some of the slowness in loading would be occurring.

I used PNGCrusher to shrink the size of a couple of your images, the first from 455KB down to 377KB, and the second from 442KB down to 328KB. I'm not sure that would help if you did it before adding it to your iWeb page, but it is worth a try. You could always do it after the upload and replace the images with the smaller version.

OP
P
Reaction score
still not working

THe fact it works on the local folder also threw me -

but the bizarre thing is it is only the pages which have a large amount of text only (the blog and news pages) where the text does not show up

i'm going to turn the text into an image - jpeg - at least people can read it then

peace

prash

OP
P
Reaction score
still not working..still!!1

it seems that it has a problem with long pieces of text i have chopped them down and it seems to work better like this

HOMES IN THE CITY

but another page of less text doesn;t load properly look:

b kites

what is wrong - i have spent almost 1.5 months on this and am close to just giving up on this..please can someone advise...

peace

prashant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't have any answers. All I can see is that your kits page is not completely coming through. I see the end of a sentence and the rest is missing.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks anyway, i think may have to convert all the text into one big image - or else link it to a word doc...or maybe abandon iweb altogether and make the website (again!!) on some other software

peace

prash

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.