Mail.app & Gmail: Duplicate mails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Hey all,

After running some diagnostics tools to save up on precious diskspace, I had to confirm what I previously only suspected.

For some reason, my Mail.app downloads all Mails from GMail (IMAP) at least twice. Now, I believe that the issue is caused by the fact that both the "Inbox" folder and the "All Mails" folder are being synchronized over the IMAP. Obviously, all mails in the Inbox, or the Sent box, or whichever other mail folder, are also in "All Mails". This resulting in duplicate downloads and a waste of space (and time).

I could however not find an option to delete the "All Mails" tag in Gmail, nor could I find an option in Mail.app to only synchronize what I need synchronized (I want my Inbox, Sent, Trash, Spam and Drafts to be similar across my Gmail account and my Mail.app)

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you can avoid this happening when using the IMAP setup rather than POP. It supposedly is a "feature" thinking that you would want to synchronize mail across all your accounts and hardware.

I know it's a pain and what I do is just go through every once in awhile and delete the dupes. I don't get all that much mail, so me for it's not really a bother.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
I don't think you can avoid this happening when using the IMAP setup rather than POP. It supposedly is a "feature" thinking that you would want to synchronize mail across all your accounts and hardware.

I know it's a pain and what I do is just go through every once in awhile and delete the dupes. I don't get all that much mail, so me for it's not really a bother.

Regards.

Well its not so much a feature as just simply an impossibility to get it setup correctly. It is unfortunately not possible to delete duplicates without removing them from the Inbox, which I don't like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.