• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.avi to a file that can be burnt by toast , how is it done ?

S

slates89

I have an .avi that is msmpeg4, 512x272, 23.98 fps, and ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s. looking to burn a copy in Toast. I have copies of Quicktime Pro 7.01 anf ffmpegx 0.0.9s. What needs to be done ? I am a n00b . TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
do you just want to record it on Cd or make it playable in DVD player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
he(assuming the OP is male), probably wants it to play on a dvd player, you can use divx doctor 2 to convert t .mov and burn that in toast using the video tab, or use one of ffmpegx's many ways to do this and burn it in toast.

OP
S

slates89

Macman said:
he(assuming the OP is male), probably wants it to play on a dvd player, you can use divx doctor 2 to convert t .mov and burn that in toast using the video tab, or use one of ffmpegx's many ways to do this and burn it in toast.

Yes, Macman I would like to make it a dvd so I give it to a friend, I can watch it on VLC. I have converted it to a .MOV in ffmpegx, but being a n00b I am lost. I have tried to burn it in Toast but the file is 5.9 gig and have to compress it. Will ffmepeg compress it, or do I need to use something else ? Popcorn ? Compressor ? or is there a freeware app ? TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if you want to make a dvd, it may be easier to simply use ffmpegx and its 'author as video_ts and audio_ts folders' option, then you can use dvd2onex or something to compress it, or maybe popcorn if you have it. compressor will also work with the .mov file you have now, if you have compressor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can just use FFMpegX to compress it, I believe there is a setting somewhere in there where you can tell it to make the max. size 4,67 GB's, that can then just be burned by toast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.