error in open office

Reaction score
I'm working in Open office 3.1 and sometimes I'll leave a document open because I'm working on it every day. I save it every day, but I just leave it open.

But sometimes I will save it and it says

error saving the document:
Error writing file

Then I have to open a new document and like copy and paste it to that new one but really it is a huge hassle and I don't know what to do.

can anyone plz tell me what this error is and why it happens every once in a while, and how I can get around it?

thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
How often do you save your progress?
I don't know why. But I do know that OpenOffice and MS Office 2003 (on a windows computer) have done this to me before. The only solution I've found is saving my progress every few minutes. It is especially noticeable with large excel files.
Sorry if that doesn't answer your question, but it might be an acceptable solution. ?? :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The directory that temp files are being saved to may not be writeable. I'm not on my Mac right now so I can't give you the exact instructions but go to the Preferences > OpenOffice.org > Path > Temporary Files. What directory is listed there?

See here for more info.

OP
T
Reaction score
i save my progress every few minutes when I'm working. But then I will leave the documents up, put my computer to sleep and the next day when I sit down to work, I will work as usual but I will hit save and it gives me this error message.

When I close the documents every day this error usually doesn't happen but it is way more convenient to leave everything open, I don't see why I should have to close my documents every day.

I think I'm going to start saving them as microsoft word documents (doc documents instead of odt documents). Hopefully things will work properly that way.

vansmith thx for the help but I couldn't find open office under Preferences.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
vansmith thx for the help but I couldn't find open office under Preferences.
I was referring to the preferences for OpenOffice. Open OpenOffice > Preferences > OpenOffice.org > Path > Temporary Files.

Now, this doesn't sound like a temp file issue but it can't hurt to look. Report back with what is there. If everything looks fine, you might just have to close OOo each day until we find a solution.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm asking the question at oooforum.com because it seems someone was having the same problem as me. Someone in this thread gave me the link to that thread, which is 4 years old ha.

Hopefully, saving these documents as microsoft word doc documents works but I'm worried about when I upload my work to be looked at, I don't want things to get tricky because it is a different file type. I would prefer to just work in odt documents.

Hopefully someone at oooforum.com has the answer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.