13" MacBook Running Really Hot With Few Processes Running

Reaction score
Hello all,
Lately my Macbook has been running really hot. I have been doing a lot of video editing (just iMovie) with it recently (about 2 weeks ago) and it's been running hot ever since. It's getting up to 90 degrees C (about 200F) with just chrome running a video or even checking my Gmail. I have been using my macbook on a flat surface on a notebook stand for increased circulation. I cleared all my preferences and all the other stuff that other forums have said to do to make it work faster. I've installed SMC fan but nothing seems to be working. I bought it in August 2008, but I still need it to last for at least another year.
It's been great to me so far. Mac's not had a single problem. I'm just getting a little concerned about this heat issue.
I've attached a couple of screen shots of the activity monitor and the temperature monitor (so you could see all the processes running with the temperature at what it was at).
Thanks

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
Sounds normal to me, they are designed to run hot. The temperatures you have shown look fine.

Watching any video in your browser will ramp everything up.

Some people say that SMC can cause more problems than its worth, even though its free!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I just use it to monitor my temps. I let it do it's own thing. Normal temps for me is 49-65ºC. The high would be 80-91.

Reaction score
All laptops(Macs not being an exception) can rup up to pretty high temperatures. It is normal and pretty much any moderate CPU or GPU stress will cause this.

If you MacBook is running way to hot, freezing, shutting down or getting visual artifacts there are a couple of things you can do about it.
First is bringing it to get service cleaning, dust accumulating inside the case can cause problems with air circulation.
Second option is to get a cooler for it. This can be troublesome if you take it around with you a lot, but it will help greatly when your MacBook is stationary.
Here's an example of the coolers I'm talking about:
Notebook Coolers at Xoxide.com - Laptop Coolers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The number of processes running doesn't matter nearly as much as the CPU utilization. I can see in your picture that you've got a Flash video playing (huge CPU hog) and also are using Google Chrome (still in beta, so not nearly as refined as the more mainstream browsers, prone to take up more resources). That's likely you're issue at this moment in time.

The next time your machine starts running hot, sort the process list my CPU% and that will give you an idea of what is creating the high heat situation pretty quickly.

Also, I would not use Chrome for casual browsing just yet, but that's another topic for a different thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Also make sure that in Activity Monitor you select " All Processes " not just " My Processes " for a more complete overview of resource usage.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.