• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

World Cup 2010

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here you are my good man. You're like me - soccer/football doesn't really register on the North American sports radar. The only reason I'm interested is because of my Dutch and English heritage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
LOL thanx Van ! I can always count on you .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I don't typically watch world cup, but as an Arsenal fan I enjoy watching players from Arsenal play. That spreads players out over a few countries.

I like some players on other teams, big one now is Fernando torres but I'm not sure if he is better yet.

I really don't like Rooney too much, he has too much of an attitude problem.

Reaction score
Well, I'm obviously rooting for my country (USA) and I'm really hoping for a great showing.. I'll give my full breakdown and picks for group play below!

Group A
1. France
2. Mexico
3. South Africa
4. Uruguay

Group B
1. Argentina
2. Greece
3. Nigeria
4. South Korea

Group C
1. Algeria
2. England
3. Slovenia
4. United States

Group D
1. Australia
2. Germany
3. Ghana
4. Serbia

Group E
1. Cameroon
2. Denmark
3. Japan
4. Netherlands

Group F
1. Italy
2. New Zealand
3. Paraguay
4. Slovakia

Group G
1. Brazil
2. Ivory Coast
3. North Korea
4. Portugal

Group H
1. Chile
2. Honduras
3. Spain
4. Switzerland

It's going to be tough for the US to get out of there, but if you want to take that next level, you HAVE to. We've had some stinkers in the last couple of World Cups after big expectations, so it's time to put up or shut up.

Slovenia's defense is fantastic. I believe they gave up the fewest goals during their qualifying, also can't forget about Algeria and how they beat Egypt to even get into the WC.

Algeria is no push over, but those are the teams the US has to beat to be taken seriously.

Jozy, Clint, and Landon give us a fantastic chance to beat anybody honestly, especially given the striking abilities of Jozy and Clint and the playmaking abilities of Donovan.

As for who I'd take out of each group:

A: France, Mexico. France doesn't play well outside of European soil, but I think they'll have a chip on their shoulder after barely escaping Ireland during qualifying (on a blatantly bad no-call) South Africa will be the first hosting country to be knocked out in group play (though I think they give great effort in one of the games)

B: Argentina, Greece. Argentina could be a sleeper to win the whole thing. They arguably have the best attack with Messi and Milito. I also think the Greeks make it out of group play.

C: England, USA.

D: Australia, Germany. Australia has a solid club, and Germany, though missing some key players including Michael Ballack, should have enough to move on at least to the knockout round.

E: Netherlands, Cameroon. Though I could definitely see Cameroon not advance especially given Samuel Eto'o and his recent actions regarding his National team.

F: Italy, Paraguay. Italy should come out of this one no matter what. Paraguay is very solid and did defeat Brazil 2-0 during qualifying.

G: Brazil, Portugal. Brazil could win the entire thing and Portugal is benefited with Cristiano Ronaldo, who if not the best player, is definitely top 3 or 4 in the world.

H: Spain, Switzerland. I would take Honduras over Switzerland, but they're not very good outside of home soil. Chile may have been dealt a damaging blow because Humberto Suazo is expected to miss their first two games of group play and could miss the 3rd against Spain as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It's ok, nobody's perfect :p. Oranje!

OK ... OK ... I will support Oranje, until they meet Brazil or Spain :Evil:

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
It's a pitty that our country team have not access palyoff in Worldcup 2010

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OK ... OK ... I will support Oranje, until they meet Brazil or Spain :Evil:

Cheers ... McBie
Now I hope the Netherlands meets Brazil or Spain!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I'll be cheering on Brasil, but considering some of the coaches odd player picks I'm not sure they will make it to the finals this year.... let alone win.

OP
kiken
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13inch 2.4 ghz 4 mg ram
wow so would anyone be interested in starting a bracket group on espn?

Reaction score
Team USA beat a very solid Australia club today in their last friendly before the WC starts 3-1.

Reaction score
the african teams are going to be a big surprise and imo they are going to kick out some of the established teams.
if USA makes it through the first set of games they'll already acheived a great result... soccer really isn't northamerican and will never be just like hockey or baseball will never be european
sure we all got our teams in all those sports but we all know that the cultural component means a lot and theefore we are happy we play sports just for the fun right??
otherwise whats the sense in playing baseball in italy or soccer in canada?
So just to see if I was wrong I'll give a heads up on the last 4 teams that will fight for the cup
england
portugal
netherlands
italy
but african and east european teams are a big question mark!
Let the show begin!!!

Reaction score
Ugh... Portugal. When was the last time you saw them play? Look out for the African teams though. Ghana was looking strong before Essien went down. Too bad. Oh ya, one more thing...

U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!

Reaction score
Thought I might as well present myself. Stumbled upon this site by accident, needed some advise, as I just switched from Windows to Apple products.O:)
And to answer reply to the thread, Im going. Got VIP lounge seats :Smirk:

OP
kiken
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13inch 2.4 ghz 4 mg ram
Reaction score
Haha. Abit pricey aswell, but hammered out a deal on them.
- Going next week. Just finishing my exams and such. :Angry:

Reaction score
I watched the opening ceremony about an hour ago, it was pretty impressive I must say. Being the Brit I am, I'm of course routing for England. If England go out I will have to root for a team I like rather then my country, so that would probably be Italy.

Reaction score
those trumpet things!

What do you think about those trumpet things that are constantly being blown? For me watching it on tv after 10 mins its getting on my nerves..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
What do you think about those trumpet things that are constantly being blown? For me watching it on tv after 10 mins its getting on my nerves..

It sounds like a bunch of African killer bees swarming around a microphone. :Angry:

Tied at 1 so far for US and England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
+1 I was just commenting that I don't think I could stand it if I was at the game. I'm sure it would be louder. Very annoying!

It sounds like a bunch of African killer bees swarming around a microphone. :Angry:
Yeah, I guess. I wouldn't know how a swarm of bees from another continent would sound though. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.