Gaming in High-Res?

Reaction score
So I've narrowed it down to either the regular glossy or high-res glossy, but am having trouble deciding. I have heard that if you're "playing games on high-res, you won't get the best performance due to the added screen space. Yes, the specs are good, but having to run a game at that large of a resolution could slow down the game." I was just wondering if there is any truth to this or if anyone has first-hand experience. I'm expecting some trouble, but is the effect that significant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
No first hand experience, but it makes sense. No point in having a better display if you don't have a more powerful video card to support it. It would look pretty doing regular everyday tasks. But gaming would see a slight lag due to the extra pixels. I think higher settings on a smaller screen would be better, but not 100% sure.

OP
Chromus
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply! So when you say slight lag, would you expect that to be enough to disrupt the gameplay? Also, if I played in windowed-mode at a lower resolution rather than full screen, would that help the performance without sacrificing looks too much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Well, it really depends on your gaming/graphics standards. The game will look pretty good on slightly lowered settings with no lag, which would be the best. If you want it to look pretty, you'll have to sacrifice a little performance for it. I'm not exactly sure on how much it would affect performance, but it shouldn't be too much.

And playing in windowed mode would help, but it would defeat the purpose of getting the higher res screen for gaming. Although, as I mentioned before, it would benefit your everyday computing tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.